Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1...disk help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kimberlyannr, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    I have read about making the download disks but I am not that computer literate and would appreciate some step by step help. I have (or had before computer crashed) Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP1 pre-installed on a Gateway LX6200, I do still have the product key but no disk. I tried a Recovery disk but it did not work (someone told me it was only good for using one time). So I am hoping there is a way I can download Vista by burning a CD and using my existing product key; but again, I am not that good with computers and have a hard time understanding what and how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  3. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Ok, I downloaded the 7-zip file and the Checksum Utility to a folder on my laptops desk top..I am not sure what to do with the first one (image) they say SP2 and mine is SP1..is that going to matter and exactly which one do I do? Sorry, told you not very computer literate.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    either of these depending on whether you want x86 or 64bit ?? sp2 is a newer version ..
    the download is 17 parts and will take a while and once you have ISO checked then we will go from there

x86 is probably your best choice

This file includes the following Windows Vista editions: Business, Business N, Home Basic, Home Basic N, Home Premium, and Ultimate. Access to each of the multiple editions in this file is determined by your subscription program and level.
    File Name: en_windows_vista_with_sp2_x86_dvd_342266.iso
    Languages: English
    SHA1: 25AD9A776503E6A583BEC07879DBCC5DFD20CD6E

[FONT=&amp]This file includes the following Windows Vista editions: Business, Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. Access to each of the multiple editions in this file is determined by your subscription program and level.
    File Name: en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso
    Languages: English
    SHA1: AAEE3C04533899F9F8C4AE0C4250EF5FAFBE29A3

Also create a new folder for the downloaded parts only and place the parts in it
    [/FONT]

5. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Ok, I have started the downloads. went with 64 since thats what I had and don't want to take a chance of screwing up..Thanks.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    In case you are unfamilar with how to highlight all parts hold shift key click with mouse on 1st file then with shift key still depressed use arrow keys first --> and then down arrow and for last click with mouse

7. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Ok, finally got all 20 parts downloaded, now do I unzip each one and then put everything that was unzipped into another folder?

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #8 redroad, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    With 7z installed

Put all parts in a folder with nothing else but those parts downloaded of the operating system.

Highlight all parts in created folder .. right click on one of highlighted and choose extract here. this will give you your ISO

In case you are unfamiliar with how to highlight all parts hold shift key click with mouse on 1st file then with shift key still depressed use arrow keys first --> and then down arrow and for last click with mouse

once "extract here" is chosen the process will take a few minutes and the ISO will appear in the window. The file will only burn on DVD so you will have to have a ISO burning software to do it. Also if you need to make the disk OEM specific read the links in my 1st post at the bottom

9. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    I install the 7z on the computer I am using right now?

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    correct and it must be compatible with that machines operating system ( x86 or 64)

11. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    I'm not sure I did this right...I unzipped the first one fine but when I tried to unzip the second one it asked if I wanted to replace the already unzipped one with this one and I said no, then it gave me an error saying no files to extract. But the one that I did get to uzip shows a size of 3,770,958 KB and since most of them are 195,313 KB does it mean that all of them got extracted?

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    If you have not tried the process as posted by acrsn then I would try that because it will simplify things for you. However I assumed you did already try this from what you said in your 1st post.

13. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Yes I did and it did not work. Before I go any further you said something about OEM..does that mean the operating system came with the computer? If so then yes mine came with the Gateway computer and I tried to understand what to do by reading those posts but it is completely foreign to me since I don't do "tech speak"..lol and if I haven't said it already...thank you thank you for your help.

14. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    everyone here started where you are right now ;):biggrin: You are welcome

Follow my directions then from post #13

So we can get a ISO to start with

15. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Ok, the folder now has one ISO and 20 winzip symbols in it.

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Once the ISO is checked. Address the questions posed by acrsn

17. kimberlyannr

kimberlyannr MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2012
    Evidently I am not destined to get through this...I get the MD5 up, clicked on browse, found the file and clicked open...but it keeps going to MD5 not responding.

18. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    When browsing you should drill down inside folder where you see the 20 parts and the single file which says ISO and that is what you choose (the single file). correct? Don't give up.. You are close;)