Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by GMScott, Jan 3, 2012.

1. GMScott

GMScott MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012
    HELP, Please!!

My Gateway DX4200 PC w/Vista Home Premium 64 bit crashed over a week ago and will not load Vista. PC will boot and get to Vista splash screen with "Please Wait" message and lock up there.

Gateway did not provide any Vista or Recovery Disks when I purchased the PC and I was lax in making a recovery disk, so am NOW stuck and unable to run apps that I need for my business. (please skip the lecture if you feel it necessary, I have learned my lesson!) Gateway will NOT send me OEM Vista Disk but will send me a Recovery Disk for $48.00!!! Is the Gateway Recovery Disk any different from the Recovery Disk I got from this site?

I don't believe the hd is bad as I can access it by using it as an external drive on a HP laptop.

Actions taken thus far:

1. Attempted to use the Recovery process on the hd to NO avail - NO restore points! Don't know why that is since every time MS updates the OS, including SP2, it creates a restore point.

2. Created Recovery Disk from this site but it will not fix problem.

3. Recovery cannot do an Auto Repair. Actually the diag messages return - No OS found!!

4. I have followed and tried all the bootrec fixmbr steps, bootrec /scanos again cannot find OS

5. I am now trying to download the (3) install files from this site to attempt to either re-install Vista or create a bootable DVD to re-install but cannot not connect to the DL links!!

ANY help will be greatly appreciated!

THX!!

2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #2 Brainsuck, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GMScott

GMScott MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012
    #3 GMScott, Jan 3, 2012
    (OP)
    @Acrsn No. This is the page I went to: Well OK, I don't have enough posts to include the link!

Thanks for your link, but honestly I don't know what to do with it!

4. GMScott

GMScott MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012
    #4 GMScott, Jan 3, 2012
    (OP)
    @Brainsuck Thanks for the link!!

To be bluntly honest here, I have JUST enough PC knowledge to make me dangerous! But I CAN follow directions!

If you have the time, could you provide a detailed solution, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

5. GMScott

GMScott MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012
    #5 GMScott, Jan 3, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks again. I went to the link but don't know which file to dl. I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit w/SP2. PC did not originally have SP2 but it was dl'ed via Microsoft Upgrade.

Also, what is Daz loader? Where do i get it? Will it auto install Prod. ID?? I believe the Prod. ID is on the box so no problem if I have to manually enter it. I don't want to wind up with something corrupted or counterfeit!