Vista Home Premium to Ultimate possible?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Darth Vader, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop which came with Vista Home Premium + installation disk. This is an extremely dumb question I know but is it possible to use this disk to upgrade to Vista Ultimate? I've read somewhere that all versions of Vista are on such disks?

Apologies again if this is such a naff query as I'm not on the ball when it comes to stuff like this. :confused:

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Basically, you just need to run an upgrade from within your current vista install using either an Anytime Upgrade disk or a regular full copy of vista. You can download the iso from the repository for this purpose. Dont know about your Fuj disk. But you can try, if it doesnt work use the other disks.
    Dont enter the product key during install and uncheck Activate Online.
    Once the upgrade is completed, find an Ultimate key in the repository and install it by running cmd as admin and typing:
    slmgr -ipk <key>
    wait for the successfully installed message. You should be activated now.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    OK many thanks. I know there's a huge amount of info in threads on this site and I've tried finding it but I'm never sure of what actually applies to my own PC. o_O

When you say "don't know about your Fuj disk" what do you mean?

Also, I don't have a purchased Vista disk. The laptop comes with an OEM version of Vista Home Premium (saved on a separate partition) and a Fujitsu-Siemens Vista Home Premium installation disk.

Sorry for the basic questions again but I'm a bit concerned about doing the wrong thing when trying this. :(

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Its just that i dont know what exact flavour your fuj disk is and whether it'll give you the option to upgrade to Ultimate. So just try it. If it does, go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise, simply go to the windows vista repository in this forum and download the untouched iso from there. Burn it to disk and upgrade from that.
    read the stickies...will boost your confidence.

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Ah, I see (I think) - you mean the Fuji disk may contain all versions of Vista? Apols if I'm wrong and will head off to the repository if this doesn't work. Many thanks for your patience.

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Ok, just one more thing. Right now the Fuji-Siemens cert is already installed on your machine. Dont know what the upgrade will do to it. So, if required again get the Fuj-Seim cert from the repository and install it by running cmd as admin and typing the following command:
    slmgr -ilc <path to cert>
    Another way to do this is to backup your present cert with a utility like ABR. That way you wont have to hunt for the cert.

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Excellent. The penny had dropped and I see what to do with my disk. Have tried this with an OEM version of Home Premium tied to a MESH PC and it does indeed give me the option to upgrade to Ultimate (no online validation or key added).

I suspect in doing this I'll lose installed programs? I have taken a disk image just in case it goes pear shaped.

Thank you for your help. :worthy:

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If his Fuji-Siemens is a install dvd fair enought if it is resore dvd different thing, if it is install dvd he don't nee to download any other versions of vist infact if he just puts in ultimate oem key he wil be fine the onlly thing if making an oem dvd from original oem dvd is changing the PID.txt file.

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #9 Darth Vader, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
    (OP)
  10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Darth Vader, i removed part of you Home Premium key from your post it is OEM:NONSLP key you need to download slic dump tool kit to check if you do have SLIC 2.0 in your bios but i doubt it you may need bios mod.

11. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Ah OK Urie sorry about that. :eek:

OK, don't really want to mod the bios, but thanks for you help.

12. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    #12 venu, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    If your computer came with vista pre-installed, it definitely has slic 2.0. Why dont you run the slic dumpkit tool and check it. It'll just tell you whether you have slic or not. and dont worry it wont screw up your bios.
    If you already have slic 2.0, you can have vista ultimate without any mod.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes on his Fuji-Siemens machine but maybe not true on his MESH PC running OEM Vista Home Premium machine it had OEM:NONSLP key, Darth Vader is confusing the situation by not following up on his first post and trying to upgrade the MESH PC.

14. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    OK, having thought about things (and trying not to get confused) I'd like to deal with the MESH PC only. This has an OEM copy of Vista installed.

Can I just ask someone to walk me through what I need to do/check to upgrade to ultimate please? I really have gone through many of the stickied threads but I can't fathom it out at all. I appreciate you are probably fed up with posts like this, and for that I really do apologise, but my kung fu is not strong in this area.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #15 urie, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Urie, thanks for your patience. I will do this in a few hours and report back. For info, the MESH PC came with XP. However, I bought an OEM version of Vista Home premium and did a clean install.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    ok now i have more information you probably don't have slic you can still run slic dump toolkit see what results are, but if you don't want to mod bios your only optios are daz loader and remove wat.

18. Darth Vader

Darth Vader MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Urie, have run prog and it says SLIC version is 2.1. Where do we go from here?

Thanks

19. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    What brand of Slic 2.1? That is, Dell, lenovo, HP, what? Can you post a screenshot of the toolkit where it shows the slic?

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #20 urie, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    is this on MESH PC ? what program did you run and you havent used loaders e.c.t? SLIC version is 2.1. means absolutly nothing post screenshots or give proper report.