vista installing problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dry Throat, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Dry Throat

Dry Throat MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2008
    when i start the computer to boot from dvd it starts good, reading the install files until you can choose the language settings, then after a while i get the message that a driver for cd/dvd is missing, i tried all my dvd writers (they work in other computers) but no luck. what i get in bootup is a message that the MAC adress is wrong in CMOS and flash.

any idea guys?

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Apparently the language your selecting is not present on the DVD your using.
    manual open the DVD and check to see what all languages are included. Not all DVD's or upgrades have all languages...

3. Dry Throat

Dry Throat MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2008
    it is not a problem of language, the dvd works fine on other pc's, it's a dutch version of windows vista, i think (not sure here) it has a problem with drivers or maybe the motherboard that went beserk on some stage in the instalation

4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    OK, I have also just had the same problem not language but just stopped installing.... strange but I removed the unit.. being an old retired tech, figured I'd just see, if i removed the top case and held in my hand when it stopped installing ( sort of froze) I could tap the case it it would install for a bit then quit... then it would not eject correctly.... I replaced the eject motor drive belt, only about 3/4" ring ..with a small 5\8" rubberband, and BAM it installed Vista totally... seems the rubber band was simply a bit loose-sloppy or what ever. Have tested the install-repair several times now and it completes 100% all the time.. no skips.

5. Dry Throat

Dry Throat MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2008
    it's not old, it's little over 1 year, but i also removed it and installed the one in my pc (it's a plextor PX-750) and i get the same message :(

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I assume that you have checked all the plugs and cable connections......
    Strange to me is that CMOS issue. What about to clear it and load setup defaults? Are you running a mod?

In that case I would try to flash the latest original bios to see what happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    My DVD player is less than 1 year old... that is what suprised me .. it is a 16 x 16 DVDRW .

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Now this is an interesting one.

I've had the same problem when installing Vista, and after a few tries I brought the pc to the shop where I bought it and they found out it's a hardware problem: mobo gone up in smoke. Got a new one on guarantee.
    But I never thought about exchanging the cd drive rubberband :rolleyes:

@Yen
    Interesting new avatar you have :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    replace the motor drive band-belt

Have tested more than one CD-DVD drive using the less than 1 yr old rubber band, seems that every system failed to install what ever is the CD or DVD is FULL..must be a speed problem.. also found if for some reason you can not find a fast replacement, the local hardware-lumber yard usually has a monster box full of O-rings, they will work, just find the one closest to the size of your drive belt, on the motor. PS: it is also much cheaper, like 0.03 cents and any thing computer related is $2.00 or more at the computer shop here. besides he would have to special order the small drive band.