Vista iso?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by eddiebelfast, Aug 3, 2010.

1. eddiebelfast

eddiebelfast MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi, I have been visiting this forum for several months and will say I'm slightly puzzled as to wether things are kosher or not re downloading Vista iso' etc.
    In some threads it appears yes and in others no!
    However, I decided to DL an ISO from this site under the thread:xxx://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/20668-where-can-i-getl-windows-vista-operating-system-iso
    I noticed that the files ended in a number, which gave me cause for thought as to how this would work. To explain, I have been in comps for 25+ years and have burnt ISO files with Linux for a lot of that time ( hundreds). The Linux ISO is just that, it ends in ISO.
    When Win7 trial hit the scene the Win7 ISO was zipped which made me raise my eyebrows, but I had that working after a couple of attempts.
    Now to this ISO ending with a number, I DL and tried to burn it with Imageburn, which didn't recognise the file as an ISO ( which I knew it wouldn't). I then renamed it by deleting the numbers at the end ( Knowing this wouldn't work). Imageburn burnt it but it isn't recognised as a boot disk.( Surprise, surprise!!). I then tried several renames but to no avail.
    So, could some kind person explain to me how I get this ISO to work?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. forgetful

forgetful MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    I don't understand what you tried... did you burn each file you downloaded? Wasn't it obvious that the iso was cut into pieces? An iso is an iso, linux doesn't make an iso different.

25+ years?

all you have to do is open a command prompt and use the copy command

copy /B file_1 + file_2 + ... + file_last_piece new_file_name

copy /B file.01 + file.02 + file.03 ... + file.0(x-1) + file.0x file.iso

3. eddiebelfast

eddiebelfast MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    #3 eddiebelfast, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    (OP)
    Forgetful. many thanks for your reply . I have never seen any files like those in my life. Maybe because I am totally self taught. An ISO to me is one file, I have never had to make my own ISO,which from what you describe is what must be done. You live and learn every day. Lastly, I cannot remember when I last did any CL work.
    Again, many thanks.

4. forgetful

forgetful MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    #4 forgetful, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    no problem.

You aren't making your own iso here, all you are doing is putting one back together. Think of a large piece of furniture. It comes in pieces so it can be easily transported and handled. A bookshelf is one piece of furniture but when do you ever buy a bookshelf that comes in one piece. Even when it's in pieces it's still a bookshelf - just disassembled. Remember, files are just bits, you can slice them any way you want and glue them back together, the computer doesn't care. Haven't you ever used multi-part installation floppies to install something? Same idea.

A lot of file hosting sites have file size limits, so people split large files up and you're expected to join them back together. This is done for all kinds of files, movies, os installation media, application installation media, etc. You don't have to use the CL, you can use a program called HJSPLIT/JOIN if you want. I just prefer doing it with the copy command.

Surely you must have seen and used multi-part rar or zip files. Same concept here, except the utility handles splitting and joining the files for you.

5. eddiebelfast

eddiebelfast MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi, now you have explained the process I completely comprehend the task.

If I may, another question pre-empted by an explanation.
    I have two comps ( non HP ), they each have an HP Vista ( REGISTERED different product numbers) installed. These discs have two versions of Vista, an HP version and a non HP version. To install Vista I have to boot my XP and then insert the Vista and install from there. Slightly elongated , so I would like to download a Vista that will give me a normal install.
    My question is will my OEM numbers work OK?

6. halloween119

halloween119 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    No your OEM numbers will not work with the iso you downloaded, but if you read the sticky :" How to make your own Vista OEM DVD" its all pretty much covered there how to add the OEM info to the iso.

7. eddiebelfast

eddiebelfast MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    Ok, thankyou.