Vista on 7 disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FireSokar, Aug 21, 2009.

1. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Has anyone tried using the Install.wim from vista and putting it onto a 7 disc. Im interested in doing this as I like the installer from 7 better. Lets hassle of being nagged about a key. And I feel it is more Complete then windows vista's. Im sure a few graphics mods should be done but other than that It should work?

2. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    You must be kidding!?!

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  4. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    #4 FireSokar, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    (OP)
    Not kidding there are a few improvements on the installer
    1) Less nag about installing the key no need to click are you sure your not retarded and have the wrong version selected to install.
    2) AIO sets of the disc display better. The installer on windows 7 determines the difference between 32 and 64 bit. Marks it as so under a architecture menu.
    3) When running Files from setupcomplete.cmd if the file is auto minimized it shows on vista, Windows 7 it hides this. Its a little eye candy but is still a reason for me.
    4) This will also make it easier for thumb drive installs on laptops that dont support USB booting. To do it you need a Windows PE Environment that supports installing that OS. So far I have 2 discs one for vista one for 7... Id like to drop it down to 1 or 2 thumb drives and 1 dvd instead of 3-4 dvd's Especially easy when Windows PE can be installed to a MINI DVDR

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You only need to add AutoUnnatend.xml with correct code and no hastle with key or selecting version:)