Vista SP1 important for bios SLIC

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by re*s.t.a.r.s.*2, Dec 7, 2007.

1. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    It's confirmed that Vista SP1 RC1 doesn't include the new anti-exploits code. The activation may fail, but you can always activate again.

4. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

Apr 28, 2007
    They are very specific, they will disable the SLIC injected bios mod, but as you say in the other post YEN if we all edit our bios to be similar or equal to the OEM manufactures they will have a though time to defeat it, now the thing is how we can learn that one, if there is not info about it....

How can you mimic the manufacturer to a board that its made for OEM's and how can you mod the bios the same way as OEM'S?

that would be the only way to make them think is a board from OEM manufacture,... hope you undestand what i am thinking.... Regards

5. alex_voyager

alex_voyager MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2007
    A valid method could be verify SLP1 and SLP2 (most mod has only SLP2!).

6. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    #6 jroc, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
    again, its just my opinion that are really going to create some problems for themselves...MS accessing someone's bios during boot..they can change anything then (they probably have been but now its made Public)....I'm not sure what a actual OEM bio's contains..but to me:

ASUS BOARD
    ASUS SLIC Table
    ASUS OEM KEY
    ASUS asus.xrm-ms

should be fine...but time will tell, but they again mention 'system' files being altered..and a OEM Created DVD isn't altered..just the xrm-ms added to a $OEM$ folder and PID.txt (Sources)...but a emulator describes what they are talking about.

but what ever they do...someone will UNDO....LOL

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #7 Yen, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
    We did already some mods which are exactly the same as those from the OEM'S.
    But this only works at bioses which are "predestined for". You can analyze OEM bioses and see how they are working. (Methods 5)

No, not undo, but circumvent. To undo means to change something at microsofts code. This I won't try. The SP1 code has to check if it's a valid OEM activation or not. Therefore it has to find differences. What will be searched for we don't know, so it's only a speculation.
    And don't forget the judicial point. I don't know if M$ is allowed to collect data about chipset and manuf. of mainboard. They have to be careful not to disable valid licenses as well.
    Unfortunately I won't have I-net access from February to March. So I cannot be a part when it gets exciting.

Yen

8. james_zhao555

james_zhao555 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2007
    #8 james_zhao555, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
    on keznews, an anonymous poster had described another method that "a guy from redmond" supposedly told him about.

so basically they will have to make people enter their COA (otherwise unable to be used without Microsoft support) to verify. This method is much simpler than BIOS checking, but also a lot less foolproof and secure.

Is this method even plausible? If by perchance somebody lost their sticker, how will Microsoft be able to distinguish between hacker and helpless person?

9. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    #9 Cythrawl, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    When have you ever known Microsoft help the helpess person?

The answer to that is that they will offer said person a cheap option of a licence (its pretty hard to lose those stickers off the computer, you really have to try to get them off - Though a heatgun works perfectly and they come off in one piece). They will take the stance of "Tough ****" as they have done in the past..

All this will do is make more and more users downgrade to XP because they cant run their nice Vista boxes anymore.... No big deal really

10. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

Apr 28, 2007
    #10 re*s.t.a.r.s.*2, Dec 12, 2007
    (OP)
    For reall, i just downgraded today, and it is so darn fast man, i got no glitches or stutters with ut3 and i thought vista was good enough, even with sp1 r1 is not better than my xp now, will wait for the final sp1..

11. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    #11 Cythrawl, Dec 12, 2007
    Yeah, my only problem with that is if I go back to XP I wont get all my memory when I upgrade in two weeks (4gb). I wont use XP64 as its a sack of **** compared to Vista X64. So Im kinda stuck with Vista or not being able to use all the RAM that I will have.. I just wont install SP1, as really it does NOTHING for the speed at all. Just look on Windows Supersite for the details of SP1. Its really more like service pack 0.5.

12. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

Apr 28, 2007
    #12 re*s.t.a.r.s.*2, Dec 12, 2007
    (OP)
    My chipset can't handly 4 gigs of ram ,either in x64 -x86 based OS, chipset limitations, intel 945, i am happy i see 3100 mb wich is suffisient for my games and video capturing so no complains here...