vista sp2 vs windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ellen, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Hello,

On net I found that some claim that vista sp2 and windows 7 are not so different in speed,...

I have never used vista, so I wouldn't really know. Anyone who used both?

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Have used both. personally found win7 to be much faster without absolutely any tweaking. sp2 now, had to wring it through a strainer but after that it came pretty close

3. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Thanks! That is good to know.

4. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Just one reason to use Windows 7 and not Vista SP2 is the fact that Windows 7 is the latest OS.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yea and its a good reason, 7 is a great os:)

6. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I'm not really planning on using it.
    Just came across it and was wondering if it was true.

7. wiliamjoan

wiliamjoan MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2010
    There's a lot of hype behind stuff like the iPhone, or Windows 7 or whatever, but SP2 while not perfect and neither is Win7, its definitely NOT worth the extra money when you consider you can do more and faster stuff with Linux Mint or Ubuntu Linux.

8. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    You mean less stuff with Linux?

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have used Vista on my brother's laptop for a few hours and visually at least, Win 7 is a minor improvement from vista but a huge improvement from xp (my older OS). My brother is reluctant to shift to Win 7 because he says that vista's latest service packs have made it more stable. He also said that vista 32 bit now detects and uses all 4gb of ram installed in this laptop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I think Vista got a bum rap - I stopped using XP when Vista came out and couldn't go back. Vista is slow to boot and some copy operations are slower but these are the main disadvantages - well OK UAC in Vista is a pain but even M$ admit it is more secure than 7s default UAC.

I've started dual booting Vista again, mainly because no-one would buy the genuine copy I tried to sell on ebaY - that's $120 I'll never see again but it was 3 or more years ago - I never activated it but modded the BIOS of my Asus A8n-32-SLI which has since decided it doesn't want to post anymore.

Anyway there are some nice visual things in Vista that were stripped out of 7. I now think it is at least 80 - 90 % as good as 7 PROVIDING you run the 64 bit version with at least 4 GB RAM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Parry

Parry MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Can you share how wring it?

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Fiat Punto vs VV Golf

Same size, they just feel a "bit" different

sebus

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Depends on your machine and support: my Aspire 5920G has neither the drivers nor the proggies properly sorted for W7 and Vista SP2 gives full functionality [from full keyboard to Synaptic's - and onwards - drivers, then Acer's apps etc.]

I went back to Vista SP2 [64b, like W7, both Ultimate v.] and the machine is now behaving properly, in some ways better than W7, which is here for too short a period, IMHO... Many bugs and annoying things in it still...

Maybe when they take our objections and sort it out... W7 is better visually and fairly good but for the above shortcomings.....

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #14 gorski, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Btw, tweak it with TuneUp Utils or Vista Manager [UAC to "off" etc.] and it will be faster etc.

15. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Exactly my point of view!

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You might now have the drivers on manufacturer site, but if you look elsewhere all the drivers are available for Seven (inc ALMOST ALWAYS x64)
    Ofcourse if your laptop is so obscure that would not work under seven, then there is no really a question, is it?

sebus

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's not quite as easy as that, from my experience...

18. guyz92

guyz92 MDL Novice

May 1, 2009
    If i am not wrong, Windows 7 can use Windows Vista drivers too.
    Windows 7 uses WDDM 1.1 for their drivers, if i am not wrong, WDDM 1.1 is made to reduce the amount of ram been use.
    WDDM 1.0 drivers is still usable on Windows 7.

I am using Windows 7 with PC build on Aug 2003.
    My sound card using Realtek AC97 ALC650
    ATi Radeon 9600
    Asus P4SD-LA (Intel 865PE chipset)
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2eGHz Presscot 800FSB
    1GB DDR1 400MHz X2 (dual Channel).

All this parts do not have WDDM 1.1 drivers but is working well with Vista Driver.

My newer PC with:
    GIGABTYE GA-MA790GP-DS4H (AMD790GX chipset + ATi SB750).
    The AHCI driver AMD website did not make WDDM 1.1 for windows 7. I use Windows Vista WDDM 1.1 drivers and it is working very stable.

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sadly, it doesn't work in my machine.

It was discriminating when Vista and Vista SP1 drivers were the choices to make.

And it does discriminate between Vista and W7 now...

I tried all sorts and it just doesn't work.

For starters, with W7 setup keyboard looses functionality [ALT & ALT GR + € & similar keys, the lower right hand corner extra keys not working etc.]. I haven't seen a different driver for it to fix it.

I had to go back for Synaptic drivers to make it fully functional. It just wouldn't install under W7 and even the new one for Vista didn't work, so go figure...

For some other devices it was a similar story.

The same goes for my wife's 5935G under W7. I still can't get 3 devices to be "recognised", i.e. the Win driver installer to do its job, even when I allow it to go to the web...

It just tells you the driver is incompatible and aborts or goes all the way, only to say at the end "unsuccessful" [Synaptics, for instance]...

Or maybe I just don't know how to do it properly?:confused:

20. MCE2005FAN

MCE2005FAN MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm seriously considering going back to Vista SP2.

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows 7, and I think it has serious potential to be the "it" hit that Microsoft has been waiting for. All the beauty of Vista, with the reliability and large support for drivers, software, and devices, that of XP...makes 7 a real winner in my book.

Here's the problem...

I bought my laptop during the latter half of the XP to Vista change over (the period in time when you wanted XP, but couldn't find it because Vista was just everywhere) and you can tell (I mean literally see a disparity) between Windows versions on this computer.

I tried XP, and it was stable...for a while, but had a hard time with compatibility with Toshiba's branded software (some of which, is necessary for full functionality...), my MCE remote (found a work around, but it took me close to four hours to get it right.), and it was just so outdated.

I am currently running 7, and it gave me a higher index score (3.3 compared to Vista's 3.1 and sometimes 2.9) which at first impressed me and made me ooh and ahh. Then, I noticed some things just weren't right, some things didn't operate as they should.

Yet, when Vista SP2 was installed and all updates were in place, everything (and I mean everything) worked. It was just so slow, and updating took forever and a day. (So glad they streamlined that in 7!) So I thought I'd give 7 a try.

Well, it is wonderful, but only if you have the right hardware. I have an ATi Radeon X1200 (DX9, which makes it a legacy device) and it does not work correctly in Windows 7. AMD/ATi said that it is not supported under 7, but may still work. Well...yes and no. When you use the WDM drivers, most of the functionality is stripped away, completely. If you use the Vista drivers (and run them in compatibility mode) you get full functionality back, but it will only allow you to upgrade to a certain level of driver before the problems start again. (And even when it's correctly working, something's just not working right. This is the second time it's done this, too.)

Sadly, my graphics and motherboard are all one piece and cannot be upgraded, and they're not 100% on the ball when it comes to 7, but work beautifully in Vista. So...it looks like I'm going back to Vista. Fortunately, my HTPC is brand new and has 7 on it, so it's not a total wash. :D