Vista UEFI boot fails with 0x0000001E

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nexus76, Sep 18, 2014.

1. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi,

I noticed something annoying using the windows 8 uefi bootloader for tripple boot

windows 8
    windows 7
    windows vista

and I still have no solid solution for this issue. The boot process fails very sudden giving an error

0x0000001E

when I use

\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi
    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

I made some tests and found out how to boot windows vista, but that's a workaround I don't prefer:
    I copied bootmgfw.efi from the vista sp1 installation disc to

\EFI\Vista\bootx64.efi

and added the entry like

bcfg boot add 05 \EFI\Vista\bootx64.efi "Windows Vista UEFI"

Ok, now it boots up flawlessly but that's a dirty workaround.
    Does anyone know, did microsoft remove the support for vista for uefi boot in windows 8?

best regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. anjozeron

anjozeron MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012
    #2 anjozeron, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    example there is 2 grazing inside the windows dvd copy 8.1 effi folder and delete boot the same folders that is on dvd windows vista sp2 and replace by the 8.1 windows dvd remembering that need to x64 windows system ok

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Good job you replied so quickly, can't imagine being stuck with this problem for almost 2 years

4. anjozeron

anjozeron MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2012

sorry I did not notice at the posting dateo_O

5. Eflanili

Eflanili MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2017
    #5 Eflanili, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    Being late almost 8 years after last message :).

I tried that thing on VMware, and it gives 0x0000001E with normal settings (obviously :glare:.). The weird thing is when I updated Windows Boot Manager with Windows 10's one after installation of Windows Vista in UEFI mode and I smash F8 at startup and select "Debugging Mode", it actually loads with Windows 10's Windows Boot Manager! I don't know what that "Debugging Mode" setting does to boot entry parameters to load Windows Vista from Windows 10's Windows Boot Manager.

But on VMware (didn't tested this with real machine), virtual system's cursor stops moving after some time (It's almost like a crash :g:.).

Update:
    Untitled.png
    -(exclude /BOOTLOG) Adding /DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=COM1 /BAUDRATE=115200 boots system (that's what Debugging Mode does I guess.).
    -But when I remove DEBUGPORT and BAUDRATE, it gives 0x0000001E bugcheck error.
    -Also removing BAUDRATE and then
    L_changing DEBUGPORT to USB or,
    L_changing DEBUGPORT to 1394 and set CHANNEL to 1 also causes 0x0000001E bugcheck error.
    -Without DEBUG option, adding /DEBUGPORT=COM1 /BAUDRATE=115200 also boots system.
    -Also without DEBUG and BAUDRATE option, system boots.

But all of these booted combinations, unfortunately they're froze approximately 1 to 2 minutes (Windows not giving anything, it just frozes.).

But when I boot with VirtualBox, upper screen will be distorted, GUI was frozen and only black screen appears. But Vista startup sound plays. Unfortunately, it's also freezes after 1 or 2 minutes.

Update 2:
    Untitled2.png
    On VMware's serial port, after crash, this shows on serial port output periodically over and over again.
    Selected block that contains info is 85 hexadecimal long. Periodically repeated dots are 7C hexadecimal long.

Update 3:
    When I tried that on physical machine (on secondary laptop, Casper CGA-P847, has text-based Phoenix UEFI BIOS), I installed Windows 10 first via WinNTSetup (I checked text-based GUI, and UEFI boot mode of course.), but didn't booted Windows 10. After completed setup of Windows 10, I immediately installed Windows Vista from WinNTSetup to separate partition I created (I selected same things from Windows 10 and checked find already installed Windows this time.). After selected Windows Boot Manager, I smashed F10 immediately and added /DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=COM1 and /BAUDRATE=115200 options. It completed installation of Windows Vista and it DIDN'T CRASHED during SysPrep phase! When I booted with normal options, it gives 0x0000001E error. I think this issue (freezing issue) only affects VM platforms I guess? Or some driver issue on VMware and VirtualBox? We'll see.

Update 4:
    I tried things from Update 3 on VMware (very close) and also it didn't crashed during SysPrep phase. Also tested after I logged in and it didn't crashed. I'm gonna start suspecting that VMware Tools has done something :g:.

Update 5:
    Nope, it's not VMware Tools. I think Vista needs to be reinstalled freshly to work VIsta without crashing :g:. I continued from Update 1 section (EFI partition not be cleared.). Maybe installing Windows Vista directly in UEFI mode and upgrading Windows Boot Manager with Windows 10's one f***s something. But when I reinstalled Vista with that store, nothing's crashed. Maybe deleting Vista from Windows Boot Manager and readding Windows Vista to BCD store with BCDBoot freshly builds that entry, so I think crash is due to BCD store issues :g:.

Update 6:
    When I did exact thing in original post (when I updated Windows Boot Manager.), on VMware, this time it DIDN'T CRASHED! I don't know what thing did this freezing anomaly on VirtualBox and VMware :g:.

Final update:
    Crash was specifically came from Windows Media Sharing. Even tried with Vista's original Windows Boot Manager. It's same. Could anyone explain why system stalls when I enable Windows Media Sharing while debugging is enabled?