Vista & Win7 Dual Boot Possible with Soft Mod?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iamanoob, Mar 2, 2010.

1. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    i have SLIC 2.1 and soft modded Win7 today
    - everything is working and activated

My question:
    is it possible to install Vista on the 2nd Dual Boot, and activate Soft Mod? would this cause any problems with my Win7 soft mod?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Yes you can use SLIC 2.1 with Vista as well. Just use the Vista OEM key and install the cert.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Vista will need to be installed on another partition say D:. So will the loader load SLIC 2.1 in memory both for the purpose of the install as well as actually booting into the installed vista? And how and where would the vista cert and key be installed?

4. beamslider

Feb 1, 2010
    Since he said he had SLIC 2.1, I assumed he meant in bios.

5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Well, he said soft-modded. But I hope one of the bright guys here can enlighten us on the subject.

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm confused.

Genuine SLIC, BIOS mod or soft mod ???

Doesn't really matter as long as a loader (if that's what you are using) handles the boot process.

As has already been said you need to install the cert and a Vista key - not a 7 key - in Vista - the commands to do this manually are the same and listed on these forums.

Should work like a charm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    am not too knowledgable about loaders. does that mean that a loader installed on C: drive for win7 will be able to handle the SLIC loading for vista on another partition? Or will another copy of the loader need to be installed on D:?

8. beamslider

Feb 1, 2010
    Yes if the boot loader is loading the SLIC info then loading the operating system, it should work with either. Machine is using grub or some other boot loader to load SLIC then transfer to operating system boot loader.

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    All the boot stuff is on the active partition and the loader will install there to, so it doesn't matter which OS you load, the slic will always be placed. But make shure that you install the loader after the last installed os, otherwise the bootloader of the os overwrites the loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Seems there is some confusion as to what soft and hard mod means.

I thought softmod was regarding use of loader.
    In contrast hardmod would imply modding bios to slic 2.1 for windows 7 and vista.
    Any corrections would be appreciated.