vista wont boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by simon 2003, May 26, 2010.

1. simon 2003

simon 2003 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    got an acer 7520 laptop with vista that wont boot, it just turns itself off and back on again every 10 or so seconds when i try to turn on ,sometimes it does boot up to the acer loading screen but just hangs,sometimes i just get a bluescreen with ****STOP :0X0000005C (0X000010B,0X000000003,0X00000000,0X00000000) I have investigated but not come up with much except maybe vista update issue ,its just come out of the blue so not had chance to back up so was trying to avoid a reinstall of vista,i know this may be hardware related but i thought id try here first,maybe my toddler has launched it across the room or somthing without my knowledge seems strange just out of the blue,but ive added no new hardware or even s/w so im baffled any help appreciated

2. simon 2003

simon 2003 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    thanks m8 ,when i first bought the laptop i installed 2 gigs of memory ,so ive tried with the old stuff back in and still the same ,ive also reseated HDD and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #4 burfadel, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Do you have a Vista DVD? If you boot off the dvd, in Windows setup you can try startup repair. If that doesn't work a menu is shown, and I think from there you can select system restore and other options. Before resorting to system restore, open the command prompt and run chkdsk on your boot drive.

From memory the commands of the Vista boot dvd chkdsk are slightly different from running it from the command prompt in Vista itself, type chkdsk /? for help

You want to do a full check of the file system structure and a surface scan. By default only the file system structure etc is scanned. An error in the NTFS file system can cause Windows not to boot and other strange behaviour, but when fixed works perfectly fine again. It seems there may be some protocols in place to help protect data? The file system check is basically a software check, the surface scan is a hardware check that detects actual faults with the storage area of the physical hard disk.

Errors on the surface of the disk are blocked as bad sectors and therefore skipped over and not used again. If a file resides in that area thats important for Windows to boot etc, it may still not work, but at least the error can be repaired. Hard drives typically don't like heat, and laptops can get very hot as you are probably aware! Due to the proximity of the HDD, it takes a lot of that heat which can increase the risk of hard drive faults or even failure.

4. simon 2003

simon 2003 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    thanks m8 for your time,i didnt get a vista dvd i guess thats my next step to download one and try what you suggest,

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Acer laptops come with hidden recovery partition you press two keys when you get to the acer loading screen you can do full factory restore just did recovery for a friend the other day.

Here is the standard Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
    2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
    3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
    4. Click “OK” to continue
    5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Thats true, but should only be used as a last resort :)

If there is a file system error, doing that could cause more problems! Also you will need to re-update all your drivers, programmes that came with windows but you've updated, and I believe Windows itself too!

The startup repair on the recovery disk may fix your problem and you won't have to worry about post-eRecovery updating (and removing the bundled crap if thats what you normally do).

If the error is caused by a surface defect, aka bad sector (or several), you definitely need to get them tested and marked as bad before doing eRecovery, otherwise sooner or later you will be back where you started :)

If chkdsk + surface scan, startup repair, and system restore don't work from the recovery disk then eRecovery could be the answer, but as I've point it out only if the other steps are ineffective!

7. simon 2003

simon 2003 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi and thanks for all the help everyone,it booted up today after several cycles of on/off allowing me to investigate issues,i seem to be at last resort as the disc i burnt for recovery didnt work as for some reason my dvd/cd drive is not being recognised ,chkdsk didnt show up any bad sectors and sys restore didnt work,so ive gone back to factory default ,it seems to be booting up into vista ok at the moment but i shut the lid expecting it to shutdown but it didnt and i just got a blank screen + green flash then orange flash on the start/power led/buttons,? and it wouldnt shutdown no matter what i did in the end had to remove battery +power lead strange,also still not showing cd/dvd drive in my computer and its not working ,also even stranger its got an x through the volume icon in taskbar and when i hovver over it it says NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE IS INSTALLED not sure if that ties in with no cd/dvd drive ,so at least i know ive some kind of hardware issue as i guess its more or less a fresh install of vista,got exams in a few weeks for CCNA lost all my notes and a few pics from my lads 4th birthday but i need this laptop for revision so had to be done greatly appreciate the help so far
    simon

8. wiliamsmith10

wiliamsmith10 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Hey i think you face this problem because of the RAM.
    it is normally faced by every one and it is normal problem just remove your and clean it.
    after clean refix it on its place. and try to start your laptop its working.

9. simon 2003

simon 2003 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    have you read the thread m8,ive tried some other RAM

10. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Could even be the hard drive, personally I am thinking motherboard. As for not recognizing a CD, this is a common Acer fault with all their laptops.
    If you can, try a bios update.

As for retrieving your work off the laptop try GetDataBack from a boot CD (when your drive decides to work..) such as ubcw4win (I think) and copying the recovered data to a usb drive.
    It can recover data from a drive that you formatted and reinstalled windows on.