VMware and true computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by X64_Bit, Aug 2, 2009.

1. X64_Bit

X64_Bit MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I installed (to test) the "Ultimate RTM" in a VMWare directly by launching the ISO file, I could install the "Professional" because I had the menu of choices of different versions.

I then burned the DVD and installed on a real computer, unfortunately I did not have the menu and I only install the "Ultimate" ...

Do you have a solution to get the menu of choice? I install the "pro" because in some time I will have a true "key" for this version.

Thank you in advance for your help and your advice and sorry for my bad English

:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I use VMware all the time and I find absolutely no difference between an ISO image mounted on a virtual machine and a DVD burned from that same image used on a real machine.

There's a file in the \sources folder called ei.cfg (Express Install) that specifies a specific version to install without prompting. If ei.cfg is not present, setup prompts for the version to be installed.

It sounds like the DVD you have wasn't burned from the same image you are mounting in VMware.

3. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    agree with above poster

4. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    I agree also

5. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I do not agree.

If you create a new Virtual machine, and in "Easy Install information" you enter your name (which you have to), then you will be able to select the edition.

But if you start and existing Virtual Machine, then you will not get the selection screen.

6. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I've never used Easy Install, but you're correct, that method does somehow convince setup to prompt despite there being an ei.cfg present.

7. X64_Bit

Aug 2, 2009
    sorry, my English is bad.

1. in my VMware, I boot the virtual DVD with the ISO image (RTM Ultimate)
    2. I have the menu and I can choose the version for "Seven" (Ultimate, Pro, etc)
    3. against it by not ask me a username and installs directly

4. I burn the DVD, I run VMware and it does me no choice I see the menu, it installs the ultimate, I have the choice of the user.

5. ditto on my real computer, plus the menu, but the possibility to choose a "user" (as in # 4)

I understand the differences between a boot an ISO image and a real DVD.

But what I liked best is to have the choice with the menu to choose the version that I want to install.

How to force the real DVD to display the menu?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Delete the file sources\ei.cfg and burn the DVD again

9. X64_Bit

Aug 2, 2009
    I have a new tets:

1. I created a new VMware image WITHOUT save the link image ISO.
    2. I boot the new image in the way of putting my ISO -> I although the ultimate (as on my real computer)

1. if I create a new VMware image and I put the link to the ISO image directly to DVD instead of when my VMware boot (right after creation), it goes on the ISO and boot menu offering me the choice .

:eek:

How have the menu on the real DVD?? Have you any idea what files to change?

EDIT Sorry, I have not seen your response before posting ... I will do this test. THANK YOU

10. X64_Bit

Aug 2, 2009
    @VelleX

THANK YOU!

I removed that file (sources\ei.cfg) and now I have the menu for choice of versions.

Thank you very much :D