VMWare ESXi5 Bios DMI Modifications

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by schleicher, Jun 27, 2012.

1. schleicher

schleicher MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi!

I unpacked the bios from the latest esxi5 build. Now i tried to modify the dmi information with different versions of phoenix bios editor and also by hex editor. always the same result, when in use the bios with the modified dmi information the screen stays black or the bios is showing the loading button and stops... with unmodified or sliced bios, its loading perfectly.

does anyone know how i can successfully modify dmi information on latest vmware esxi bios builds?

thanks in advance, schleicher

2. schleicher

schleicher MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2012
    @redroad: thx, i tried the other method too, but i did also not work, that made me try on another fresh vmware system to modify the bios files.
    i checked again to modify the dmi strings with pbe and this time the bios worked, i don't know what was wrong with the other system, but it works now basically.

the problem is that i am not able to modify the system serial number correctly as it seems, when i do an "dmidecode -s system-serial-number" from a linux vmware with modified bios i get something like: VMWare-56 xx xx xx xx ... instead of my modified dmi string.
    any chance to get that working properly?

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Most likely not, why do you need DMI mod?

sebus