VMWare Player seems to be Brain Dead

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Palladin, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I searched through the threads and didn't find any mention of the problems I was having so I thought I'd post it in case anybody else is having these problems.

I had run VMware Player many times before on my old Dell 530. It was slow, but usable. I got a new Dell i5 with Win 7, 64 Bit, 8GB and was looking forward to installing a virtual machine and running some software in it a bit faster than the old 530.

Unfortunately I was in for a big disappointment. When I attempted to install VMware Player I got this error message regarding insufficient privileges. :confused: The version was VMware-player-6.0.2-1744117

vmware-error.jpg

I tried running as an administrator, same message but with a different 10 digit temp file name. Then I ran Explorer as Administrator, and right clicked the file and ran that as Administrator. No joy, same error message.

I thought maybe the version of VMware Player I was trying to install was outdated, on not compatible with a 64-Bit installation, so I went to the web site and download the latest and the greatest 64-Bit version (VMware-player-7.1.0-2496824-64-Bit) and attempted to install it. The error message I got was just made no sense.

vmware-64-bit-error.jpg

Somewhat annoyed that I couldn't install anything, I went over to VMware's web site looking for some answers, but it was no help at all. But a search of the first error message turned up many instances of other programs not being able to install because of "insufficient privileges". All seemed to point to the C:\ProgramData directory as the problem.

Normally that directory is protected and not accessible, and I like to leave it that way, since I'm pretty sure that everything in it is a link to somewhere else, and not a real directory or sub-directory. Anyway, I removed the permission restrictions and checked to see if Start Menu directory had the correct settings. It did not, so I changed them to include the Groups Everyone and System and gave them Full Control.

I tried to install the Player again, and it didin't work. :( But after a bit more searching on line it seems that you have to go one level deeper to the Programs sub directory. When I looked at that one there was only one entry for permissions, and that was me. No System or Everyone group (??). I added both of them, gave them Full Control, and selected the check box to apply permissions to the sub-directories and clicked OK.

When I ran the Players installation routine it went to completion, and I installed the latest version of Windows 10 TP and everything is working as I would have expected it to, without the monkey drill.

BTW, none of the other software that I installed, had this problem.

I'm baffled as to why I had such a tough time installing VMware Player.

Edit: I just noticed. This is my 100th post on MDL :clap:

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    having a lot machines come through with this recently. Just to get Firefox to install an update on a Win8.1 machine (fully updated) I had to give full permissions to that user in ..users/USER/appdata/local/temp just to get it to run and install. This wasn't just for FF, was several different programs. Not sure what to make of it, something with an update from WU or something, dunno

3. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    If I find time I might do a systematic update of each one at a time, but could be a combo of more than one, another "dunno" lol.

Seems not all setups have had the issue though, I would have to give it 8 out of 10 systems had the issue. I need to find what they have in common lol

5. Pol-Alexandre

Pol-Alexandre MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    Hello !
    I run VMware Player 7.1.0 build-2496824 in Windows 8.1 pro without any problem (very satisfied indeed). Computer is HP 2540p. Using Office 2007 (NOT 2010 !). I keep off Office 2010 as being typical bloatware.
    Hoping this can help you
    Pol-Alexander