VMWare server 1.0.10 SLIC Bios and Vista x64 activation instructions with ASUS cert

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by cnd, Aug 4, 2010.

1. cnd

cnd MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
  2. cnd

cnd MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
    The files

rar password is: MDL

Attached Files:

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #3 urie, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    Yes you can do it that way but i would say most just mod the bios save editing files everytime you want new virtual machine. Patching tools are in the stickies.

4. cnd

cnd MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
    mod what?

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, but, can you explain what you mean?

vmware PCs don't have a "bios" (aside from inside the vmx executable I expect, which might be a windows PE or linux elf file) - and version 1.0.10 of vmware (the last stable version of server prior to the 2.0 messup product they built) doesn't have any executable patches that I know of...

Also - I'm not 100% sure - but I'd guess it's a lot more advantageous for people to have a per-VM bios mod, instead of modding the vmx file (which would change the BIOS for every single VM they've already got as well), plus of course - "my
    way" means you can copy it to a new host without the VM de-activating itself.

I'm pretty sure the host BIOS doesn't get seen by the guest VMs - so if by your phrase "just mod the bios" you were referring to actually flashing chips - no - that's obviously not going to make vmware virtual PCs activatable at all.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #5 sebus, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    Just read the ONLY sticky in this section & only then write an essay...

sebus

6. cnd

cnd MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
    I wonder why I put VMWare server 1.0.10 in the title ?

I guess that makes you the n00b?

A) Read the subject: "VMWare server 1.0.10"

B) Read my "essay" - no dissing the author, but, it's basically moronic to run an unsigned/untrusted patcher to hack a signed .exe and change the BIOS of every virtual PC you've got, when the opportunity to install selected bioses using the products own features on a per-vm basis already exists...

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So? Why would you want to use such old version anyway?

I do not see it this way, especially that you CAN see what is being changed, so it is not black magic after all!
    Even when you have global BIOS changed, you can still do the very same, so it does not limit you in any way, it only add extra possiblities

sebus

8. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    The patcher only works for windows based VMWare.
    To the OP, does this other method work for Linux Player/Fusion?

(runs off to try it)

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    No, but you can do it easily by hand

sebus