Vmware/Virtual pc with virtual removable hdd/usb storage.

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by un user, Oct 24, 2013.

1. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi all.

need your help. i'm searching for any solution to have a mass storage(hdd/usb) virtual device that can be attached and seen as removable in vmware/virtual pc.

thanks. :worthy:

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    You can add a second virtual hard drive with vmware, pretty sure virtual pc has something similar.

To do this in vmware, select Edit virtual machine settings > Under hardware select Add... > Select HDD > Select Use physical disk > Choose which device you want to use as well as Entire Disk or Individual partitions > Finish.

vmware.png

Hope this helps you.

3. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Thank you for this answer. :(

I know how to add a real drive, but i want to use a file/ram based drive just because speed is greater and since i don't have a real removable drive.

4. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    You can do this the same way, just select Create New Virtual Drive, Allocate a size, and use it as a single file.

Correct me if Im wrong; Are you trying to use a RAM drive in a VM?

5. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Ok, but this virtual drive will appear as removable ?

Yes, or file based. Any mass storage that will appear as removable, but not real hardware.

6. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    No, unless you power down the machine and remove it that way.

I don't think it would be possible to make a virtual USB flash drive; I can see how it can be handy for some things. You'd need to use physical hardware, unless someone else can give some insight to this matter.

As for a RAM drive/disk, I don't know if VMware can support it. You can put a virtual HDD on a RAM disk, provided it has enough room in your RAM.

If I may ask, what are you trying to do with this?

7. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    I have tried osfmount, imdisk, imgdisk, imgmount and some other software. They made a virtual disc, removable or not, based on ram or file, but vmware don't see this drive, it only appears in my computer and not in disk management.

Also, i have tried virtualstorage from ms, it made a virtual removable drive, drive appear in disk management but in vmware appears as internal(fixed) drive. Worth to mention this drive have this strange partitioning scheme ex: [c/h/s] 12582912/1/ (512 sector) for a 6gb disk.

Only to install posready and see what is modified in registry when is instaled in removable drive vs fixed drive.

Thanks

8. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Another way would be to use either Phantom Drive or Virtual CD software (Paid) to create rewritable "blank" virtual CD/DVD/BluRay disk and do it that way.

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Instead of creating the virtual drive on the host, why not create it inside the VMWare guest? Wouldn't that then make it appear as a removable drive in the guest?

10. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Yes it will appear as removable, but is useless since i only need to be removable to install os on it.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I still don't see the complication. Create a virtual drive inside the VM, so that it appears removable. Install whatever you want in it, and save the contents of the drive in a file. You can then copy the file out of the VM and do whatever you want with it.

12. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Sorry, need more explanation.
    Need a way to have usb mass storage attached to vm as main storage. This storage will be used to instal operating sistem on it but it must be removable because operating sistem will made some settings only if this storage is seen as removable.

13. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
  14. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    sorry for late reply.

tried with qemu, and seems to be ok. drive appears as internal usb.
    unfortunatley, don't have too much time for testing because i have a big problem: all my folders are readonly and some files (txt) used to create cmd's cannot be saved because "the file is in use by another program" . i hate w7 :mad:.