VMware workstation 11 exported OS still activated

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by MrG, Aug 19, 2017.

1. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    Just a little tip for those that might be wondering:

I was testing Win10 v1703 (legally activated) on the test rig2 & tried exporting it, copying & importing it to another rig w/ a different MB & CPU.
    It imported fine & is activated w/ a digital key as was on previous rig.
    The updates installed (15063.540) & all is good on that VM, the exported from VM on other rig is still activated also.

I haven't tried this w/ Hyper-V yet as test rig2 CPU doesn't have 'SLAT' included (old CPU), test rig1 does though but probably wont test it anyway since one cannot have Hyper-V & VMware installed on the same partition/OS.

HTH anyone wondering

2. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    #2 MrG, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That sure fizzled; I found out after a few days that the OS was not activated anymore w/ the “Activate Windows” watermark in the desktop lower right corner.

Time to go to plan B, guess time will tell.

Edit: plan B - Calling in the MS activation # robot > Tech person in India failed as I decided to just go to plan C
    plan C - Using my old Win7 Ultimate TechNet key activated it.

*Oh well so much for my first impression that a exported copy in VMware of Win10 would be activated more than a few minutes/hours.
    That's what testing is all about I suppose. No to move on & update to another Win10 SKU

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why didn't you just re-establish a new HWID for the VM?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    Thank you Enthousiast
    Have to try that out.
    Would I do that from the; host/deviceMgr/VM?

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What should work is shrinking the current windows partition in the VM and install win 7 SP1 Home or Pro (depends for what 10 edition you want a HWID for) and activate it by DAZ WLoader and generate a genuineticket.xml (or upgrade it to 10) and use the ticket on the 10 install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...