VMware Workstation 8 with Mac OS 10.5.2

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Setsuiya, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Setsuiya

Setsuiya MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    I've recently gotten a game that can be played on Mac only for the time being and I use Windows 7 64-bit. As such I looked into setting up a Mac OS emulation with VMware in order to run the game. So far everything has setup properly and I've gotten the game installed on the Mac OS 10.5.2, however when I try to run it the screen flashes black then goes back to the desktop almost immediately. Afterwhich I can't try to open the file again until I reset the VM.

Another website suggested I come here and ask directly about it rather than trying to get second hand information.

The Mac OS is using...

Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2
    VMware Workstation 8
    4 processors
    1 gb ram
    20gb hd space

My pc specs...

Processor : Amd Phenom II 1090T 3.2ghz 6 cores
    Memory : 6gb kingston ram
    Video Card : Geforce GTS 450 1gb
    Windows 7 64-bit

The game is called Avernum - Escape From the Pit, an old indie style game so I doubt there is an issue with my current setup in terms of requirements. I am completely new to Mac usage however and as such don't know if I missed anything small.

2. Setsuiya

Setsuiya MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    So you're saying it's because I'm using the 10.5.2 version? Well I've gone and got a 10.6.7 version now, however there seems to be an issue. When I enter the cd into the drive and try to power on the VM it doesn't recognize the drive like it did with the 10.5.2 version. As such it won't install the Mac OS to the VM.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    VMware Workstation 8 does NOT provide Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics

No matter what version of Mac OS one uses.

So if you have something that needs either, it will simply NOT run! Like ie Final Cut X on Lion (which will not even start if running in Workstation 7/8)

sebus

4. Setsuiya

Setsuiya MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2012
    Is there a version of workstation that does provide that? Or is it simply impossible for me to play the game with VMware?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    The is NO version, so most likely you will not do it in VM. You could of course install Mac OS X on bare metal with supported graphics card

sebus