VMWare WS 7.x on nix Host wanting to install Dell Win 7 in VM, which VM BIOS?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by TerryMoore, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TerryMoore

TerryMoore MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    #1 TerryMoore, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Hi All

Sorry this is a bit of a new area for me, I've tried to read up but there's a lot to try to absorb quickly.

I have a Dell Laptop which I run Fedora x86_64 on as the primary OS, I occasionally need to use Win 7 on it (which it's licensed for) however the Dell restore disk won't register properly in a VM so I have to run dual boot which is a pain.

Reading the forums I think I need....

A Dell VMware BIOS with SLIC 2.1?

Which I then tell the VMWare host to use that BIOS instead of it's default one I assume via a setting in a config file somewhere?

I should then be able to install my genuine Dell Win 7 Pro and it'll register properly?

Can I use the same VMware BIOS on my desktop machine if I need to run a temporary test environment?

If someone could point me at either an existing BIOS or even better at instructions how to make my own BIOS (so I learn more) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks all.

2. TerryMoore

TerryMoore MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    No replies in a day??????

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help......this is going to be my excuse to get out of doing loads of things tomorrow as this simply HAS to be done!!!!!

I've understood that I need to add the 440 file section to the cfg file, what I'm not certain about is how can I extract the VMBios if I'm using a Linux Host?

Thanks

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You can help yourself, by just reading few threads in this section!

Read few threads below:

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/12982-ESX-ESXi-Bios-Tools

It will show you what you need to use to extract the BIOS from Linux executable

In fact BIOS is the same, so you could just use the 3.15 from Windows version

sebus

4. TerryMoore

TerryMoore MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    sebus

I'd already read that thread, have I missed something?

The tool in that thread is a windows tool for extracting a BIOS surely?

I only have a linux host so how can I extract the BIOS using 'nix only?

Regards

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008