Voip App for International calling ??

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by paris, Jun 9, 2014.

1. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    I recently switched to making international calls over VoIP after subscribing to Viber Out .A month into using Viber Out, they kept overcharging my credit and the call quality sucks bigtime ! Can somebody suggest an cheaper alternative to Viber Out ?

2. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am no expert, but I have used VOIPBUSTER for several years now. No pictures; only sound link, but works very well for me. Free to other VOIPBUSTER users and 1p per minute to normal phone lines. Be careful as it is a lot more like 18p per minute to mobile phone numbers or premium rate numbers. You will have to buy credit upfront to use paid calls, around £10 minimum UK after conversion and tax.

I also prefer to use a handset for VOIP calls, getting hard to find nowadays, but some still on EBAY. Many users will be happy with built in microphone and speakers on most machines.

3. regalbatman

regalbatman MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2014
    I use Global Call to call India.Its been a month since I switched over from Skype to Global Call and I guess there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality.It doesn't give me the luxury of making video calls like Skype but it serves the purpose when I have to make cheap International calls to landlines or mobile phones.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion but voipbuster looks pretty expensive to me since I make calls to mobile phones. Also I want something which doesn't require both users to install it .o_O

6. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    Global Call ?? Is It a calling app or calling card ?To be frank I've never heard of it.Don't take me wrong but it would be better if you post a link when you mention about some app .

7. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks for sharing the link Pisthai . I'm unable to quote your msg. Forgive my Forum manners . Not used to writing on forums .

I just checked the rates of VoipCheap to Japan its around 19 cents .It seems good to call European countries though. My boyfriend just shifted to Japan that’s why I'm looking for cheap options to call Japan :confused:

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
  10. regalbatman

regalbatman MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2014
  11. espresso

espresso MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    #11 espresso, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Answering would only make sense with some more information. :smartass:
    Anyway those mentioned cheap providers just limit the bandwidth to thus save cost.

There are better solutions, but then both of you have to do something.

Where do you call from?
    What do you use to call with? Internet landline, Internet mobile, Phone

Where do you call to? Japan
    Fixed or Mobile? Mobile
    Does he/she have unlimited data on the mobile? Yes/No

If you're calling from the UK...I'd bluntly say Vectone with Vectone Mobile App.
    But the he has to install the app.

You might check the forum for 'folks-without-a-color' :D
    forum . gaijinpot . com /forum/living-in-japan/internet-technology/29751-voip-to-japanese-landlines

You might also consider a japanese iP provider. Preferrable the one on which your boyfriend has a subscription.
    If he takes a combined subscription...you can install and use the IP phone.....and he pays the cost....
    I do recommend bria softphone. It cost a bit. But after 10 years in the VoIP, I'd still think it's the best in sound quality and stability
    Their free version is called X-lite.

P.S. if you both have internet available consider using ooVoo or WeChat
    WeChat has a lower footprint and requires less bandwidth.
    And with WeChat you can increase spamming your boyfriend with voice messages and pictures inbetween.

I've a similar situation. So I understand the need to be able to call him wherever you are. So using mobile to call his mobile makes sense.
    using WeChat (wifi internet) and Vectone (mobile). Just using whatever is available to call.

12. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks for sharing the info .Like you mentioned we realized calling mobile phones is expensive affair(particularly to Japan unlike other Asian countries where its as low as 3 cents) . My boyfriend has finally got a landline connection and we are considering the various options I discovered on this forum .So I guess 3 cents per minute is the cheapest deal .Both Local phone and Global call seem to offer the same rate.

13. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    #13 paris, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Japan is expensive in many means!!

As I believe that your BF will also use the Internet, why not use to call over the Internet? You didn't need to use services like Skype or so if you didn't like, you could also use direct computer to computer connection, even over dynamic IP! That's an easy task and ir would also gives you the ability to use webcams for visual calls! That would be the most cheap solution as well!!

15. regalbatman

regalbatman MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2014
    #15 regalbatman, Jul 2, 2014
    I think this is a good time to do a trial run of the app . They are running a promotion with which you can double your credit purchase . I got an in app notification .Just check this out
    Code:
     globalcall-1plus1.com 
    . You can buy credits upto $50 . I just availed this offer. Purchased $50 worth of credit and by entering my id for the event I got $100 and the best part is the credits don't expire . You can use them like forever.

16. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    I never knew that Asian countries could get so expensive !! Internet video calling looks like an obvious choice but long distance relationship especially when the ppl involved are in 2 different time zones makes it a lot more complicated.We reserve our weekends for making these video calls . I guess now you figured out why I was looking for calling apps in particular. This way we can atleast call each other from our workplace.I'm happy I found few options here on this forum . I knew just the popular ones like Skype and Viber .Never knew of options like Global Call and Local phone which is really cheap.

17. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    #17 paris, Jul 3, 2014
    (OP)
    Thank you so much ! That’s such a cool promotion !! I went ahead and purchased $50 credits in one shot . Now I have $100 credits to call my boyfriend that also for just 3 cents per minute . 1600 minutes is a lot !! I'm also happy that these credits don't expire :)