volume licences for windows 10 pro? KMS?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sglobus, Aug 27, 2015.

1. sglobus

sglobus MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2011
    If I install windows 10 pro on a new computer from a standard RTM ISO, the type that microsoft lets you download in order to make the free upgrade, can I then activate it by KMS?
    Or do I need to get a vl version?
    If so, can you convert to vl after installing?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK you'll need a VL version!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Edwe

Edwe MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Im almoust (98%) sure there same.
    And yes you can activate "a standard RTM ISO, the type that microsoft lets you download" with KMS tools

4. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
    you can activate it with KMS. the only difference between VL ISOs and the normal home/pro ISOs is the key which is set after installation. you can always change the key though, so no problem there.

5. myabc

myabc MDL Member

Apr 19, 2014
    please can anyone tell me a link for a simple kms activation tool for windows 10 rtm? i don't find a link for download but only tracks of existing tool... where is it??? thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    look in KMS-tools section.

7. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #7 Fckr, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.

Simply type in the W10 Pro KMS product key in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System->Change Product Key and you'd be done. Well, almost.
    When you do this, licensing channel will change from RETAIL to VOLUME_KMSCLIENT/GVLK.

With admin privileges, run these commands in command prompt:
    Code:
    slmgr/ipk W10PRO-VOL-Product-key
    slmgr/skms your.kmsserver.address your.kmsserver.port
    slmgr/ato

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I used the Standard DL from MS for Windows 10 10240 - with NO internet - therefore NOT ACTIVATED. then used KMS AutoNet 1.3.7 to Activate...
    the KMS used the DEFAULT Windows 10 RTM GVLK key and ACTIVATED 100%. has never seen the MSA - only Local Account and updates just fine.

9. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #11 Nucleus, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Go straight for the best. ;)

KMS VL All - Link in my sig. Usage and brief explanation a couple of posts below it.

10. sglobus

sglobus MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2011
    maybe my problem was because I tried to install the standard DL in a virtual machine, and the host machine was running windows 10 with a legal upgrade. That ties the license to the MOBO. When windows 10 installs, it looks at the MOBO to see it if fits with the license. So it thought it had a license already, and it was not valid for the virtual machine.

11. sglobus

sglobus MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2011
    In any case, if you have the patience for it, you could install windows 8.1 pro vol edition, and then activate with KMS, and then take the free upgrade to windows 10.
    That will give you the genuine microsoft license, and you won't need to rely on KMS running in the background in order to reactivate windows every so often.