Vostro 1520

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bstedman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    I have 2 of these laptops. One runs win7 activated, the other won't. Identical MB etc. after running rw have found there is no slic in one that doesnt run activation. How can this be and how can I get it to run? Would appreciate any light shed on this.

2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    the 1520 with no SLIC may belong to n series (Free DOS). You can use DELL Service Tag Reset tool to unhide the SLIC table.

3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Dell service tag reset tool won't work for un-hiding the slic on a standard phoenix bios from all the reports I have heard... It may change your service tag but as far as I know it won't activate slic... I have never heard of any proper solution, it can be quite risky as well with some Dells like these. As far as I know no Dell service tools have been leaked that work, some have enjoyed success by modding the bios, perhaps just adding a second, identical slic table would be the least risky. I suggest first searching through the bios mods here and seeing if you can find one already done, if not then request a mod, but be sure to let the modder know all the details, ( n series, hidden slic)

4. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks so much for the help. I haven't looked so closely at the boards. In under the memory cover the Part # for each is exactly the same. A modded bios or loader seems like the safest option. If anyone has a mod would like to know. Thanks again. I have a service tag reset cd but i think its only for the lattitude.

5. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    Tried the svctag3.3 isnt able to run on the vostro. Unless ther is a later ver then??? Worked fine on lat D series. Program just hangs after choosing "Y" to erase servicetag. Need another idea to crack it.... Thanks in advance.

6. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    If you ever find one please let me know. I have been watching these forums for years and have never seen one that works on a standard Phoenix bios from Dell, only the Dell style (ie, hdr can be extracted with command line argument "Biosfile.exe -writehdrfile" is a standard Dell bios, one that extract a *.wph file and winphlash is a standard phoenix) I am fairly sure they must exist, and I would really like to find it because Dell has been using them much more often, ever since the Studio 1537, most of the Vostro line uses the standard phoenix as well so these tools are becoming much more needed all the time...

7. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks shakeyplace. I will check out the MB and look at eeprom, im game! But i will take my time thanks again, best wishes.

8. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    #10 shakeyplace, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    Please, be really careful, we don't know how dell handles this with their newer phoenix bioses, we know with the Dell bioses that a simple shorting or clearing of the right chip will simply reset the m/b to factory and allow entry of required values (and enable slic) but we have no idea what may happen with the newer Vostro and Studio It may do things such as erase your mac address, etc, or you may get perpetual errors on booting, or we may find that the bios allows you to enter new values for everything.. The point is I don't know, so please research well and be careful..
    It may well be best to use a loader for now and wait and see if some tools show up similar to the HP tools... Actually they appear capable of backing up the contents and probably restoring from the backup... Maybe best not to go there, lol. I tried using them, some versions read values from the chip but obviously they are encrypted or stored in a different format because the values are garbled, never tried the tools from other manufacturers and may try in the future but I will be busy for a bit...

9. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    Its a new Vostro so I think i'd need more than a couple of strong drinks to attempt something so risky. I will look for a software solution instead! As well as being patient! Thanks again.

10. bstedman

bstedman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2010
    I got hold of admin password protected bios. Found a post re paperclip, bridging pins 3 & 6 of eeprom. On the lat D600 all is quite easy to get to Shaped the paper clip, made the bridge and then flicked on the power - Success all back to Fn + x startup.Just thought i'd let u know. Used the bios mod for 7 and is wonderful little lappie with 2gb ddr 160gb hdd. bedst wishes