VPN help please

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jmacie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I am one of five computers on a home network. From time to time, I use a free VPN to download from overseas file servers. After downloading and signing off of the free vpn, it seems MY original connection is fine, but, the other computers on the home network have connection problems. All I can do is re- start the entire system, to straighten the connection problems out. Anyone have any insight? I appreciate any help, thanks johnm

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    What kind of VPN are you using? Is it a hosted VPN? Is it hardware or a software VPN?

For myself, I use Hamachi software VPN on my main computer and then just use VNC to remote into my computer at home when I need it.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use RAdmin, which is (unfortunately for many) Payware. All I need is an life internet connection, a fixed IP or a dyanmic IP service like NO-IP.com with DUC (Dynamic Update Client), all free.

On those machine I like like to control remotely I install the server apps and the Machine, mainly a Laptop, which is used for to connect to that "Server" the Viewer apps. On "Server" I need to assign an free port for to use for the connection.

I don't need any Web based 3. party service like LogMeIn etc. which slows the connection a bit. Even if I use Dynamic IP Services, it differs from those 3.party services and didn't has any effect on speed, which could be crucial. On most of my connections I've fixed IP's available, so there isn't any need for those dynamic IP service in most cases. I've just 3 customers with dynamic IP's and use for them NO-IP.com free dynamic IP service.

RAdmin has a very high security and bypasses all that 3.party connection which limits therefore possible intrusions. Also RAdmin is very fast and has a lot feature out of the box others didn't have.

With LogMeIn/Hamachi I had a lot problems and since refusing to use it again and from my perspective that service is very unsecure not to tell dangerous!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
  5. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    No, I don't use the iphone app. securitykiss is good but limited to 300 megs daily. What I'm still trying to figure out is why it messes up the other networked computers connection. But, I appreciate your helping so far!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    How you have setup the Network and configure your router?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Honestly, It's just a straight install of the program, no special routing or network adapter configuration. It's not configured like the super secure pay programs that you use PPTP and L2TP protocols, although this VPN allows these protocols. I'm just wanting to route through overseas servers to download from overseas servers that don't allow USA ip addresses. It works fine, just when I close app., the other computers on my home network stop connecting.

8. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Only other suggestion is to check out the securitykiss forums or email the support. o_O

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I wasn't talking about your Apps/Windows installation, instead about your Network Configuration and the configuration of your Router!

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's one way, that's true!

But in case of an misconfiguration of his systems, that will not bring much!

11. wtarkan

wtarkan MDL Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Why don't you try a Portable VPN ?
    Psiphon
    it is the only Portable VPN I know

12. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks all!

I'm gonna try that portable! I gotta try to narrow down the problem before messing up other's connections. If I get it figured out, I'll report back, thanks all! johnm

13. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks!, Psiphon 3 looks promising!