VPN services - should you use one ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Mutoid, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #1 Mutoid, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    There have been a few posts on here over the past days that touch on this subject.
    eg. Torrenting , and the so-called "VPN" that Opera is currently touting.

Many people may wonder what their ISP thinks about Torrents "of a certain type" , or if their customers
    are maybe using Tor ?
    A little searching and reading will soon enough hit on a VPN as a possible solution.

But this is a BIG subject to get to grips with , and is far more complex than some people may think.

Paid-for VPN service is a real growth market right now , in the harsh realities of the post-Snowden world ,
    just like the AV business was years ago .
    And just like that business , there is a whole lot of snake-oil on offer.

In some ways a rubbish VPN can be worse than no VPN at all , even if you paid more than the average !
    It will leak your real IP who knows where , and probably attract MORE attention from your ISP .....
    .... precisely what you were trying to avoid.

It would be really nice if there was a " click once/pay ,configure and then forget " solution ,
    .... but in reality there is no such thing , even with a bit of "leak testing ".

If you are seriously interested in this complex issue I suggest you read this ( just for starters )
    ivpn.net/privacy-guides/advanced-privacy-and-anonymity-part-1
    ... I "unlinked" it .

BTW , the writer of this guide is a maestro on this subject ..... you can take my word for it
    ..... a guru even !

@mods - I searched before starting this thread and couldn't find the right one to "tag on to "

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...