W10 - Stop Driver Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Pyr3x, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Pyr3x

Pyr3x MDL Junior Member

Oct 4, 2012
    So I attempted to disable the auto download of drivers via Windows Update as when they download and the OS attempts to install them it ends up tanking my whole OS and I have to reinstall. Even rolling back to a checkpoint within the OS will not recover it, it's VERY annoying. I have not been able to make any use of my new laptop until I am able to find a means to prevent these drivers from coming in.

I have identified three drivers which cause total failure of my OS. They are the Intel Management Engine, Sound, and Rapid Storage Tech Drivers...

I am not sure why but after they are installed when you attempt to reboot the OS it will just hang on rebooting or shutting down... forever! So I do a hard reset and then it hangs on boot... forever!

It's a real depressing state of affairs as I purchased this laptop with the intent to run Windows 10. It's an AORUS X5 in case you are curious.

So thus far I have attempted going into Advanced System Settings and pulling up the hardware tab then disabling the OS's ability to auto download hardware drivers for me. However, this is NOT preventing Windows 10 from downloading and attempting to install them anyway.... In fact I feel less in control of Windows updates now more than ever before.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate the feedback.

2. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    well in my case I went to services.msc and totally disabled the windows update service, I get my updates manually from other sources :D

3. Pyr3x

Pyr3x MDL Junior Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Well that kind of sucks... I mean your idea works but f**k man disabling Windows update in general is kind of a s**tty workaround to have to perform. However, I will take your advice that is WAY better than re-installing every time it gets updates.