W7 activation question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by david toska, Jul 29, 2010.

1. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Lets say:

I buy a laptop from any oem manufacturer (dell, hp, acer etc) preloaded whit W7, lets say home premium. I dont want all bulls**t software that come from oem preloaded systems, and I want a clean install. I`m downloading W7 from "The Official Windows 7 Repository" removing the ei-cfg file to get acces to home premium. I boot up the dvd, and are good to go. On the install i`m on the step to be asked for product key. So come the question: Can I enter the home premium product key on the sticker on backside on my laptop an get activated whit that?? If Yes, what kind of activation is that, oem non-slp???? If No, what are the sticker ther fore??

Of course, I know I have slic 2.1 and can easyli get oem-slp activated using the commands to insert the cert and the oem-slp key. But thats not the case.

My question is about the sticker:)

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    All I know is I tried that with a Dell - reinstalling XP with the key on the COA sticker did not work - it wouldn't accept the key with the dell install disk - which shows how long ago it was as they supplied a Windows disk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    If i remember correctly you will need to activate by phone!! and its just a standard OEM product key

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Its a COA key yes and yes you can use it to install/activate. no it doesnt need phone activation.

If it woudnt be possbile why would they then give you a key?

5. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I dont know:)

All I know is that the key on the sticker is NOT the (home premium, on this case) oem-slp key for the current manufacturer.

tcntad: So, I can oem-slp activate my "new" laptop for this time, AND in theory use the COA key at the sticker on another computer:)??

6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Nope the sticky key is regular OEM key.

Yes ofcourse you can OEMSLP activate your new laptop as long as you have the proper certificate. In the windows folder search for ".xrm-ms".
    No you cannot use that oemkey to activate on another computer of different brand, it could be locked to that specific brand but what do i know. Maybe not since even OEMSLP keys arent locked to any specific brand *a-- ms*

7. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You can enter the key from the bottom. When you try to activate online, activation may fail and you may have to telephone activate. I believe this is how CoA activation works for Win 7. When I last tried with XP CoA key it activated online no problem.

If you talk to someone over the phone just say "Virus had to reinstall".

You can SLP activate your machine and use the key on another machine. It is against the licence. During Install decline to enter a product key.

Easiest way to restore SLP activation on a machine with SLIC 2.1 BIOS is Via Daz's loader.

Start Daz's loader: Profile-> (Make sure SLIC and serial match)->Installation->Install

Exit and you're done. Did this on my MSI Wind and it worked a treat.

With older versions of Daz you had to go to Advanced Options-> Install certificate and serial. However new versions detect whether the loader is necessary or if only the cert and key is needed.

8. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #8 david toska, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    (OP)
    I know about slp activating:), The post are only related to the sticker:)

Anyway: Today I tried this: Took my gilfrends new acer aspire wihit preinstalled W7 Home Premium. Booted upp W7 dvd, formated the disk, and started to install W7. On the step to enter product key I used the key on the sticker on backside of the laptop. BUT, THE WINDOWS INSTALL DIDDNT ACCEPT THE KEY!!!!!

9. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    So the answere in, NO, you cant use this key on fresh install. (This was for Acer) I still dont know for other oem`s. I`m wondering what this key on sticker are there for.

10. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    #10 91011, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    After reading your post yesterday I tried what you're attempting to do with the COA key from a Lenovo laptop and managed to install Win 7 Home Pre and have the key accepted. It required phone activation but I had no need to activate this install so I skipped it, but I'm pretty sure it would phone activate.

From your description I see several things that may have caused your failure.
    1. The Win 7 disk I used was the "All Editions" OEM (aka: System Builder) A retail disc may also work but I would doubt it.
    64bit: Windows 7 - 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_OEM_All_Editions-GRMCAEXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
    32bit: Windows 7 - 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_OEM_All-Editions-GRMCPRFRER_EN_DVD.iso

2. When using the OEM Win 7 version you don't need to remove the ei.cfg file - and maybe shouldn't - I didn't. Before install starts you'll be asked which version you're installing (i.e. what type key do you plan on using). Select Home Premium so later, when asked to enter your key, it will match the version you installed.

3. The key on your COA is almost certainly a OEM:COA key (not an OEM:SLP key embedded in the original install). OEM:COA keys appear to be for either 32 or 64 bit. (A retail key can install both versions) If the laptop originally came with a 32bit Win 7 HP install you will have to install an OEM 32bit Win 7 HP version. (Error code for this: "SKU doesn't match) You can confirm what type key you have by dloading: CHKPIDS_Win7.rar
    I can't post a link.

Good luck.