w7 clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by UltraLow, Oct 29, 2009.

1. UltraLow

UltraLow MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I want to install W7 on my laptop already running W7 home prm. I don't want to restore from factory image which comes with a lot of unnecessary apps I don't like. Do I need to extract anything before I wipe the drive? I want to use whatever license the notebook came with

thanks

2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    no you can just format and install homepremium, than use the key on you laptop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    or if you want to use original serial and certificat (for pernament activation), use the slic dump toolkit first to back them up..

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    wit key on the sticker it's also permanently activated, it's a valid key

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Sometimes those keys are retail backup key that OEMs stick on laptops for MS licensing purposes.

It may take the key during install but you will probably have to to do phone activation.

Just backup your OEM key and certificate with the tool floating around here. Then restore it after you clean install

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    what's a backup key?

7. UltraLow

UltraLow MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    thanks everyone for great advise... please add this info to the official windows 7 repository, it may help people with similar situation. i read the advanced section but it wasn't obvious to me :eek: how or what tool to use to backup the certificate&key from factory installed w7

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Doesn't need to be added plenty of info all over forum what some people didn't tell you to do was backup or download your drivers for your machine before you reinstall.

9. UltraLow

UltraLow MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    thanks for the tip.... i didn't realise there were so many drivers needed: 3g, bluetooh, camera, cardreader, chipset, lan, sata, touchpad, wireless, etc...... if i do clean install will my touchpad work before installing the driver? could i control the pointer or do i need external usb mouse for example

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    it would have to work as i recollect. win7 installs a generic driver for that during install, just as it would for a mouse.

11. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 Opa, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  12. jamesyx

jamesyx MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2007
    You can always uninstall the rubbish