W7 Sees Data Mini-CD as BLANK

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zepp, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #1 Zepp, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    Hey All,

W7-64 Ultimate on an Acer Aspire 4530 -- for some reason the system reads mini-CDs as blank and asks to format them. This is very annoying since most devices ship their drivers on these minidiscs. The drive reads standard size data CDs fine. It is a drive with a central spindle, so it's meant to read mini-CDs.

Yes, I can usually find drivers elsewhere online but like last night it took me several hours to track down the driver needed on a Czech site when the CD was right here but I just couldn't read it. I did later check it in another computer with Ubuntu, and the disc reads fine so it's not the disc. Some component, driver or service in W7 is not working, or maybe it's a reg key. I recently ran sfc /scannow and it found no errors. The DVD player in the Acer has the newest firmware and the system is fully patched and up to date.

I have Googled this extensively but there doesn't seem to be an answer. I did find a MS article on a similar problem which involved deleting the Upper and Lower filters from this reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ... but my reg key did not have U/L filters in it.

To be clear, I'm not looking for a workaround like using another machine, but to fix the problem and gain the ability to read minidiscs. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Almost All Computers can read mini disc, and it isnt the OS either, even windows 95 reads mini discs.

3. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    It is the OS that has the ability, though. Since W7 should be reading it fine, something is amiss. The drive is not at fault. If I boot from a Live Linux distro it reads it fine.

I only wish someone knew the driver, device, reg key, program, whatever in W7 that allows it to read miniCDs.... it has to be different from whatever allows it to read standard discs, as it reads a standard CD fine. It can't be the chipset driver b/c my Toshiba also cannot read a miniCD, and I migrated this W7 to that machine so I wouldn't have to build my system twice. Yet that exact Toshiba with Unubtu (which I also have... yes 3 laptops) reads the miniCD fine too.

So again, it's my particular instance of W7/reg/something that is problematic.

4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    See if you can make an ISO of the mini disc and mount it with a virtual drive.

5. budzos

budzos MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2009
    Its very possible that the optical drive may need a firmware update to recognize the media correctly.
    budzos

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Has this machine ever recognized mini disks? If it has, and now it doesn't, something has changed and maybe a reversal of that change can fix your problem.

If this is the first time you've tried to use a mini disk and the drive failed to read, have you considered the age of the drive and its attendant firmware? I could be wrong, but I believe your computer was sold originally with Vista. If that's the case here, have you attempted a repair install of Windows 7 using your installation media for 7? Or maybe even a restoration of a system image of Windows 7 from a time when the drive did possibly see mini disks?

You could use a different computer to create an ISO file of the mini disk and then burn it to a normal size CD to get past your immediate problem. That would get you the [temporary] results you want from the mini disk and allow you time to do the internet legwork to find the permanent solution you're after.

7. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    @cocachris89: Creative suggestion, but not looking for a workaround. Am looking to fix the problem.

@budzos: No firmware upgrade available.

@ PhaseDoubt: I never had an occasion to use a mini-CD until a few months back when I ordered a device that came with the driver on a mini-CD. It didn't work then, and it didn't work the other day again, which are the only 2 times I tried.

You're right this machine was sold with Vista with an offer to upgrade to W7, but it has all the W7 drivers installed. Restore points are all from recent cases. sfc /scannow shows no errors, so I don't think a W7 Repair would do anything, and I try to avoid Windows' automated solutions as they never work in my experience. I prefer to manually find and fix problems whenever possible. It's safer.

The drive is new(ish) as the old drive stopped reading discs (any disc) last year. So I replaced it on Black Friday with the same. Samsung generic OEM SLIM drive ... I have the model and SN and checked already for any updated drivers or firmware. The drive reads every other kind of disc fine.

But it's not the drive, it's the OS. I know this because I migrated the W7 OS from the Acer to my Toshiba laptop to avoid having to build my system twice, and that Toshiba also will not read mini-CDs, though I have a duplicate Toshiba laptop with Ubuntu installed and the miniCD reads fine there.

So again, I can get to the files by using my Ubuntu laptop, but I am looking to fix this. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    well there you go personally I would do a repair installation. Reading mini cd has been about for ever without need for firmware updates, something is scre*ed on you OS system.

9. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    The problem was simply duplicated on the migrated system (proving it was an OS problem, not a drive problem), but I was speaking of the source system, which is the Acer, the computer I work on daily.

IAC I think I know what caused it... I have several burning/ripping applications as one program is good at one thing, another program, at another. I believe that one of these programs or a combination of two or more in conflict created the problem that caused this... likely a registry conflict or something along those lines.

I could uninstall all my programs to test my theory but I use the programs while I rarely have need to read a minidisc. So as much as I'd like it fixed, it isn't worth troubleshooting it anymore at this point. I will never personally use a minidisc for anything, it was mainly the principle of the thing... it SHOULD work so I wanted it to. But it's not the end of the world. :)

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Could be one or more of these burning apps registered an upper or lower device or class filter driver that's causing it.

If ImgBurn is one of them you could check the filter drivers and their load order (Tools menu).

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #11 PhaseDoubt, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    My experience is the automated solutions work rather well. My experience with OS installation is a clean install after disk wipe is always best if for no other reason than to preclude perpetuation of existing problems.