W7 Updates - install all at once and then restart, or...?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JQP, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JQP

JQP MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm on dialup so I have to grab all the offline installers at a friend's house and thumb-drive 'em over to my 'puter. So I just grabbed all the important post-SP1 updates and I installed the first one. Of COURSE it wants to restart. Now, I've been using Windows since W98, but I've never seen this question asked or answered; can I just install them all at once, opting out of the restart if I'm asked, and then restart once after I've installed them all? I've always kinda assumed I could, but there's always this nagging voice in the back of my head wondering if this might not be good practice.

Another question, I used Windows Updates Installer (found in a thread at MSFN.org forum) to download all these updates. Is that a kosher application and source? Or should I be worried about security/malware with these updates?

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JQP

JQP MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2012
    Whoops! Well, I went ahead and installed all those updates (there were about 60 of them - I only needed post-SP1 updates) manually, all at once. Windows restarted 2 or 3 times but she seems to have come through it okay. But I'll definitely look into that one-click option next time, if I have to do this again. I'm working on my backup solution so I don't have to do it again, though - just restore from my backed up system partition with all/most updates already installed.