W7 vm not genuine-help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kiwig, Apr 2, 2014.

1. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Hi All
    I have had to move on with the OS as I bought a new laptop and decided to stay with W8 which was loaded.
    I like W7 very much so I installed it on a VM. It is a W7 version I had from 2010. After installing all the MS updates it is not genuine.
    Please can someone help me to solve this? I have started with Windows Loader v2.2.1 though that does not seem to work. :confused:
    If I'm right it does not work with UEFI motherboards, is that right?
    What would be the next best move?

Thanks

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    What virtualizer do you use? Many can have their BIOS files modified and thus appear like OEM machines to the Win7. Second, the true platform being UEFI does not have any influence on the VM (unless you set up the VM as UEFI/GPT as well). Usually the VMs are set up as BIOS/MBR.

1. If you want to go the BIOS mod route, please post in the Virtualization board, stating the exact virtualizer you use.
    2. But if you decide to stay with Win Loader, make a post in the Windows Loader subforum. Describe your problem exactly (read post #1 of that discussion thread and include the MGADiag report in your post). Mention you are using a virtualizer!

3. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Carlos
    Thanks a lot.
    I have used VM Workstation 10. I have setup the VM as a standard so I suspect BIOS/MBR
    What is the best choice of the two?

4. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Carlos
    Thanks. I will follow up on the above link.:thumbsup: