W7 won't start. How do I extract licence info before reinstall?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chokobanana, Mar 19, 2011.

1. chokobanana

chokobanana MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
  2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Well you have to use it from windows if there arent any switches for commandprompt usage.

You can use windows loader or searchengines script to activate.

3. HAL

HAL MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    You can also try to set the BIOS to default.

4. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    Do you mean using a loader?
    I was hoping doing this the leagal way since the current licence/key is legal.. I just want to extract it, reinstall windows and restore it.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Windows loader is pretty misleading, read more in the official thread. It wont install a loder if its not necessary.

6. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    I just got another idea.. maybe I can boot the W7 installer and have it repair the current corrupt Windows.. then I could make the recovery discs and use ABR. May be worth a try if I need to install anyway.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Done make a story out of such simple task!

How legal is your install?

1.Came with machine when you bought it?
    2.Did you buy retail box?
    3.Did you use some MAK key?

1. would be OEM key, available in stickies
    2 & 3 token copy & restore will do it just fine for same machine

sebus

8. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies.

The computer actually turned out to have a hardware failure. I was unable to even load the Windows 7 installer so he's taking it back to the store. (There's still a warranty convering it)

9. EneergE

EneergE MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    To give an answer to your question, even though you're getting a new machine, you could boot to a PE environment and run ProduKey from Nirsoft to extract the keys.

If you don't have a PE disk, copy "C:\Windows\system32\config" folder from the hard drive to a flash drive, or other media, boot into a working Windows environment and then run ProduKey.

In ProduKey, click the "Load Product Keys from External Software Registry Hive" and browse to your config folder you backed up. Select the "SOFTWARE" file and click OK.

Now you can ctrl+a select all and ctrl+s save to save your keys to a text file.

All you need is the config folder from a machine, and you can extract any information you need from the registry using a variety of different tools.

10. freedomfth

freedomfth MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    I have similar problems. I have Hp pavilion came with preinstalled windows 7 home premium 64 and of course it came with all the unneeded hp softwares. I want to do a clean install but How can I take the key out? Is it better to use home premium with legal key or use ultimate with daz loader?
    Answers for the question
    1-yes
    2-no but I will use retail windows 7 sp1 for installing downloaded from here(MDL)
    3-No idead
    yes Oem key is available in stickies.

11. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Depends on you. The Professional/Ultimate versions have some extra features, if you do not need them, no need to go with Professional/Ultimate.

The key installed in your lappie will be a OEM:SLP key, so no point of extracting the key, but if you want to do it, try SLIC Toolkit. Will allow you to backup your certificate also.

Better to just install W7 and let the loader do its work. No need IMO to get your hands dirty.