W8: UAC and Metro co-existence?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ceckin, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ceckin

ceckin MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2008
    Guys as many others i find UAC to be utterly useless and terribly annoying, but to my surprise the latest and greatest from MS does not offer you a chance to disable UAC and use Metro Apps. Now im not a sucker for the new interface, but there are some cool programs and i would like to keep the Metro functionalist. Is there a patch for this, or at least can someone tell me what is the executable for Metro? Cause im pretty sure a simple jnz/jz patch would suffise, but im not that into exploring the system.

2. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I disabled UAC notifications first thing and have no problem running apps from the Start Screen. When the UAC window pops up you just need to click the "change when these notifications appear" link and set the slider to "never"; I don't even think you have to reboot.

3. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Yes, that is correct; you do not need to reboot. Just go to the Start Screen and type 'uac' and click 'Settings' under the search box on the right of the screen. It will return one result. Select 'Change User Account Control Settings' and bring the slider down to 'Never'.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Norfolk

Norfolk MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Yes; In consumer Preview when i disable UAC, Metro Apps stop working. but not in RTM

5. pc84

pc84 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2007
    Yes but with this method UAC is still not completely disabled like it was in Vista /7. On W8 you have a new mechanism and you have to modify a registry key or edit a group policy to disable it completely which also remove the ability to execute metro apps !

6. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Only metro apps dont work with uac disabled, others things works same as windows 7.
    I use Full administrator account of windows 8, and i have to enable uac on administrator account to metro apps work.

7. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
  8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's clear that he knows about this.
    The problem is, he want's to keep using Metro Apps, but disabling UAC (really, killing UAC not "never notify") will not allow it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    I think, that he doesn't. :)) From this his 2nd sentence. :)

Yep, as I wrote above, it can't be done. You will either have a system full control, either you will have the ability to run Metro apps.