W8 WMC to 8 Pro/WMC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by wendy123, Nov 10, 2013.

1. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

Sorry to create a thread as I'm sure it has been covered so please just point me in the right direction.

I installed Win8 on my kids computer and cannot recall what I did to activate it. I think i used a generic key and then went to add features and upgraded it to WMC using the free WMC keys, back when WMC keys activated Win8.

Do i just download the update from the store or use a ISO to install 8.1 using generic key then go to add features and use my WMC key again to get it activated?

2. devans123

devans123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009

If your Win8 WMC used a legitimate free WMC key and is currently activated, then you can download from the store to upgrade to 8.1 and it will still be activated.

3. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    8.1 needs to be activated first, not gonna work with generic key.

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    This is true only when you are installing from ISO.

If you have an activated Windows 8 Pro WMC installation, you can upgrade it directly to Windows 8.1 Pro WMC via the Windows Store. You will not have Windows 8.1 Pro (without WMC) at any point. The resulting Windows 8.1 Pro WMC will be automatically activated.

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    +1 Kelorgo is correcto :D no doubt

6. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I upgraded 3 Windows 8 WMC installations activated with free WMC keys from the Windows Store to Windows 8.1 Pro WMC and they were all automatically activated. Unless you have extremely fast internet connection it is a slow process. The download is a little over 3 GB.

7. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

thanks all, checked the store and bam it was available. Yes it is a slow download indeed.