Wanna know some suggestions for buying a laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Rosa Green, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Rosa Green

Rosa Green MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    What should I pay attention to before buying a laptop? Any suggestions for the brand, CPU, video card and any other hardware stuff?

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Not really... You get what you pay for. The more you spend, the better it will be.
    If you're not going to be playing a lot of 3D games, I'd recommend getting a cheap one.

3. l3uddz

l3uddz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2014
    Not necessarily true, although it generally is... You often pay a premium for Mac laptops simply because its Apple, whereas you could have purchased a superior Windows laptop for a fraction of the price...

It would depend on your budget obviously.. but I would be looking for an Intel CPU, preferably an i7 however whatever rocks your boat :zwinker:. Some form of nVidia graphics card, a nice amount of RAM 8-16 GB should be ample for most things (I went overboard on my main system with 64GB of RAM and I never use more than 10 GB lol). Also look for 2 HDD's if you can, an SSD for your Windows installation and another HDD for your documents/media/games etc...
    Hope that helped.

4. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
  5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    In addition to reading all you can, it would be nice to go to Costco, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. to get some hands-on experience. I would also buy from someone who accepts a 30 day return with no restocking charge, in case it turns out to be one of those "I'm sorry, the laptop works but I'm just not happy with it." situations.

6. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If $$$ are a serious issue, you may want to consider a used (or refurb) laptop. I've bought a couple on eBay that have been great. eBay - buy only from sellers with a high (+99.5%) rating and use PayPal for protection. I suggest an Intel Core2Duo cpu as a minimum and a dedicated video (usually nvidea) card. Another plus is that older laptops are going to have years worth of history on their performance, so it's more likey you can avoid the real dogs.

7. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    If you live in the US, back to school, and Labor Day sales abound. Also, if you live near a Micro Center, check them out as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...