Want HD Cable box input for Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ohmster, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Ohmster

Ohmster MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    I am pretty good at searching but for the life of me, I cannot get a simple answer from someone who knows about this for squat. Time to call in the experts (you).

I just built my dream machine and have installed a WinTV HVR-1600 so that I can watch TV on the PC, specifically Windows Media Center. It has an analog and digital tuner inside. I now have an analog channel 3 converter from Comcast to watch TV on channel 3, I use the small Comcast remote to change channels and a Green Button remote for everything else. But I want to see HDTV, this NTSC stuff is just not cutting it on a kick ass computer with a native 1920x1080 screen. I am using the analog cable connector to do this, but there is a digital cable tuner and connector for it. I have not tried connecting the cable to the digital cable connector, even though the cable is digital. The reason is that Comcast has this notion that if you want HDTV, you rent and use our programmable cable box, period. The box does provide HDMI as well as component video and L+R audio outputs. The WinTV does accept composite video but that will not give me HDTV.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4
    Video Card: MSI GeForce 670 N670 PE 2GD5/OC
    TV Tuner Card: WinTV HVR-1600

Is there any sort of HDMI or Component (Color-stream RGB) input card that I can use with this computer to get actual HDTV into this machine so that I can watch it, preferably on Windows Media Center? Everything I find is not compatible with Media Center or is a capture card and so far as I know, WMC does not display input external video and audio. I trust you guys and have never been steered wrong from this website, nor do you bow to censorship on just about anything we wish to discuss. Bravo DigitalLife, Bravo!

Is there anyway I can actually watch HDTV on my PC without having to switch the monitor to HDMI and then lose my PC screen while watching? I like to do both, use the PC and watch TV, I have dual monitors. Anybody? Someone? ...please?

~Ohmster

2. Ohmster

Ohmster MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    The Green Button is a pretty good place to go for this, I will check it out. I came here because at least I know I will get an answer and an answer that I can trust. Thanks buddy!

3. Ohmster

Ohmster MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    Wow, that is a HUGE list of tuner cards. Since I already have a WinTV card, I really do not want to purchase another tuner. I believe that Comcast locks their cables signals so without a cable card or box, one may not get any channels or none of the premium that I subscribe to. Since I do have HDMI and Colorstream inputs, I was hoping to use them instead. Somebody here or at the green button must have already addressed this issue, the problem is searching it out and weeding all the results. Hopefully, someone familiar will give me a hand. So far, this topic is open. Anyone with experience please chime in. Thanks will be given to all that reply with something helpful. Thanks!

4. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...