Want to know if LTSB 2016 will objectively function on my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Furvy, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Furvy

Furvy MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2010
    Just a simple question if LTSB 2016 (1607) will objectively function on my new laptop, the ASUS GX531GS. I am aware that the CPU, the i7-8750h and the GPU, the 1070 Max-Q are potential issues, but I would just like to know if anyone has objective real life experience with them running this OS and can tell me if there actually are any issues aside from Microsoft scare tactics.

- I do not see any potential issues with the 1070 as according to the Internet, Build 1511 of Windows 10 introduced support for these cards.
    - I am aware that LTSB 2016 running on 8th gen Intel CPUs is "unsupported" according to Microsoft but I am the kind of user who just wants to directly use something if it is functional and suits my needs. I do not care about "support". That is just a buzzword to me. All I need to know is does it function and does it work with Speedstep, that kind of thing.
    - I would like to know if Nvidia Optimus works to switch between iGPU and Nvidia, ideally, but that is just a bonus.
    After searching this forum, I found this one answer, but doesn't really tell me much in detail. I suppose I can just trust this post and potentially waste $5 on a key from eBay and not be able to use it, but I would prefer not to.

I do not want to use LTSC 2019 ideally because of the design changes from older to newer Windows 10 but I realize I may have to if there are objectively functional issues with using LTSB 2016 on my hardware.

If someone actually has direct experience using LTSB 2016 on my exact laptop that would be really cool to know too :cool:

Thank you

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Download the 2016 LTSB iso, create the install media (USB/DVD) and test install it, would be the fastest and most informing method to check the OS/Hardware compatibility for your specific hardware.

3. Hasefroch

Hasefroch MDL Senior Member

Dec 24, 2018
    LTSB 2016 update is INSANELY slow, when i try to install x64 version of official iso, it takes a lot of time consuming CPU and hogging RAM (I even got to see 8.000 MB of RAM used by windows update) and stays like this a couple of minutes. Later when I go to windows update to check for updates, it takes very long time finding updates (Buscando actualizaciones... in Spanish) and when it finds downloads 2017-05 cumulative update! I'm giving up with LTSC 2016, except someone find a real solution for this, because when I integrate updates with W10UI, exactly the same happens (except downloading 2017-05 CU)

4. Hasefroch

Hasefroch MDL Senior Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I tested Spanish es-ES and es-MX isos only. The English ISO have this problem?

5. Furvy

Furvy MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2010
    Understood and naturally, testing it myself on my own hardware for my specific needs is the best option. I just wanted to get an opinion from the masses as the i7-8750h is a fairly common processor, not to mention 8th-gen processors in general and I was hoping that I would be able to to just get an answer if anyone has has any issues running it on LTSB 2016.

Ultimately I should just test it myself though, yes.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The problem with others testing on their hardware won't guarantee that you will have the same results, that's why i advised to test on the specific hardware, should just take a few minutes to see :)