want to make sure i install windows 7 correctly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gonnadoit, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gonnadoit

gonnadoit MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    i downloaded windows 7 from a torrent. the hashes match the one i looked up on this site from the sticky. i have the loader from daz ready also.

i'm on xp. can i just pop in the dvd from the desktop and follow the instructions to install from there or do i have to restart computer and boot from dvd drive?

if i install windows 7 over xp and want to go back to xp later with a restore dvd i got from my computers manufacturer could i downgrade back to xp with no problems?

i read somewhere i should install to unpartitioned space? the only partition i have on my computer is the one xp is currently installed on.

wanted to know the answers to these questions before i try installing to avoid problems. sorry if they've been discussed before

2. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Take a Ghost image using Norton Ghost for XP. Save this image to another drive if possible or to a large USB pen drive. Format the XP drive and install Windows 7 without puting in a serial#. When installed use the Windows Loader 1.72. Bam

3. mario35

mario35 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I would do a fresh install of windows 7. I feel it all ways works better to do a fresh install. and yes you should be able to go back to xp if you want. Just remember to back up all your updates you have now for xp.

4. rockjim

rockjim MDL Novice

May 15, 2009
    Why not just put in another new drive to install 7 on and take out the one with XP on it? That way if you should change your mind, just put the old drive back in.

5. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Ghost images are alot cheaper than drives. Who knows how mant drives he really has tho. I keep all of my Ghost images on another drive and it only takes 10 -15 minutes to reload.

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If he has a lot of storage he can also partition his HDD to work like 2 for Dual-Booting if he only has 1 Physical Drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...