(Want to Make) Tool to Uninstall KB 3035583 (Win10 Upgrade Nagware)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Vladimar, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Vladimar

Vladimar MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    It was driving me crazy so eventually I took the time to figure out how to get rid of it.

1) Uninstall KB 3035583. and then "Hide" the update to prevent it from being installed in the future.
    2) Take Ownership of the C:\Windows\system32\GWX folder, and then
    3) Delete the C:\Windows\system32\GWX folder.

There might be more to do, but that's all I did and it seems to have worked. I've seen a few posts that recommend that you also delete the "Scheduled Tasks" for the GWX executable, but those may have already been deleted when I uninstalled KB 3035583.

I'd like to learn how to make a tool that would do this automatically for people, and post it as a convenience to others. Seems simple enough in terms of what needs to be done, but I have no idea how to program, etc... Javascript? Visual Basic? Something else?

2. Vladimar

Jul 16, 2015
    Thanks! Does it work? Have you used it?

3. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Kill GWX.exe with Task Manager. Take ownership of the GWX.exe file and rename it to GWX.old

Done.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2013
    #5 jhoff80, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I reset my Surface to 8.1, and despite it not having 3035583 installed, I was getting the app in the system tray. In my case, I used a suggestion I saw elsewhere online:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
     "DisableGWX"=dword:00000001
    I then killed the GWX.exe process, and it hasn't come back yet.

5. Vladimar

Jul 16, 2015
    What keeps the update from simply reinstalling the whole thing? Do you have any information that it does not/will not? Posts I've read compare it to malware, which (in my mind) includes the ability to repair itself if the User does some "unauthorized tampering". Plus there's a bunch of scheduled tasks calling to run the .exe, and leaving them there undeleted is sloppy and messy.