Wanted: Program to replace HP Organize

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Holden von Vloppen, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Wanted: Program to replace HP Organize

HP Organize was a utility that came with all HP computers circa 2003. I've used it in PCs since then, whether they're HP or not. HP put it online as a free download. It was nice when HPs came with free software that wasn't crapware.

HP Organize helps to avoid a cluttered desktop. It lets you create a series of panels that you can name and then put desktop icons in. For example, I have a panel named “Productivity” in which I put things like Libre Office Writer, LO Calc, a dictionary program, etc. Then I have one named “Photography” for Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, PhotoImpact, Light Room, etc. Then there's another panel for utilities like WinRAR, WS-FTP, etc. Organize lets you show all the panels all over the desktop, or collapse it into an abbreviated version, or collapse it completely.

It's been instrumental in keeping my computers organized. I still use it on my Windows 7 Desktop (which was previously an XP one). The strange thing is it won't run on my Windows 7 laptop. I did have to do some tweaks to get it to run on the desktop. I tried numerous compatibility modes before Windows 98/ME mode, plus “run as administrator” got it to run. On the desktop. Unfortunately, on the laptop it just won't run under those settings or numerous other ones that I tried.

So it's time to find something else like it. I searched for “Windows desktop organizing software,” but was disappointed with what I found. I found something called “fences” that essentially lets you draw frames around icons on the desktop and designate what each frame is for. Yuck. HP Organize let you create panels that could easily be hidden. If I'm not working on my photography, there's no need for me to show the icons of the programs for that. Other things that I found just weren't as good either. Maybe I just haven't found it?

Does anyone know of a program like HP Organize?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Thanks for the idea, Tito. I tried it, but unfortunately it did not work. Some differences between the two machines are:
    1. The desktop has Windows 7 Ultimate while the laptoop has Win 7 Home Premium.
    2. The laptop is a much newer machine, only about a year old, and has an i3 processor. The Desktop is much older. I bought it as a debranded HP with no OS. It had Windows XP Media Center edition before I owned it. I put Windows 7 Ultimate on it myself.

If is perfectly acceptable to replace HP Organizer with something that does the same thing. I wish HP had kept up with its development.