warning: aniversary update removes programs.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by darcy, Aug 13, 2016.

1. darcy

darcy MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    The anniversary update has removed the windows photo viewer program from my pc and changed the default viewer to the photos metro/store app.
    The sticky notes program has also been taken and replaced by something called sticky notes trusted windows store app… another metro app!
    This is not a version change this is a downgrade from programs to store apps and I find it inconvenient as I do not wish to use store apps will now have to find alternative replacement programs.
    In another sinister move it would seem that Microsoft are going to withhold the ability to reactivate after recovery from people who do not have Microsoft accounts.
    The following screenshot is taken from settings*update and security* activation.

Darcy

Attached Files:

• ma.JPG
      ma.JPG
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I'm using Windows Photo Viewer still on 14393. I didn't upgrade to that build though (clean install).

As for re-activation, I imagine that may only affect people with digital entitlement licenses (W7/8.1 to 10 upgrade, Insiders) and not product keys (pre-installed machines, people who purchased a key, etc), but I could be wrong.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    If you login to MS account, your licence will change into digital one, so it will be transferable, that is a good thing actually. My "progress". (backwards)

Attached Files:

4. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    No, they aren't withholding anything so no need to spread rumors. People are still free to use only local accounts. The advantage of linking your DE to an MS Account with 1607 onwards is that the Activation Troubleshooter can help you reactivate even if you have to change your motherboard.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...