warnings that my hard disk is failing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lmfbr, Dec 3, 2009.

1. lmfbr

lmfbr MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Win7 keeps sending me warnings that my new 1TB Samsung drive is about to fail. I have checked the drive with three different SMART drive monitors and all say that the drive is "healthy" and show that each measured parameter is good.

Is this apparently false warning a known issue? Is there some way to fix it?

2. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #2 Servi, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Did you do a complete surface scan with these tools (takes a few hours), or did you just read out SMART? I had two hdd failures in recent times, and SMART showed absolutely nothing! Both hhds were usable again after a low level format, but all data were lost.
    Run a complete test with Samsung EStool from a boot CD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #3 gentoo, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can also turn off chkdsk on the drive during boot. Here is the command

Code:
    chkntfs /x c:
    The chkntfs utility works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the system registry. The BootExecute value is located in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager
    The default value is for BootExecute is autocheck autochk *. When you use the /x switch, it will add a /k parameter prior to the asterisk. The /k parameter excludes volumes from being checked for the presence of a dirty bit.

4. PluG

PluG MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    there is a way to fix it.

when the warning comes up keep canseling the warning and after 3-4 warnings another box will popup with a option of selecting dont warn me about this drive anymore

and thats it no more popups.

5. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Do you guys think that hiding the problem is better than solving it? :eek:
    It's like the magical sunglasses from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I was not telling him to hide the problem. Only letting him know how to turn it off if he can't fix the dirty bit. Why would anyone want to hide a pc issue rather than fix it? Looks like to me chkdsk can't fix it or it would not be popping up all the time. Unless he is canceling it.:D

7. lmfbr

lmfbr MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    I checked the Samsung with these:
    Active Hard Disk Monitor
    Crystal Disk Info
    Disk Checkup

As I recall, the first one did a complete sector check (slow) and the last one recorded data every 10 minutes. I did the record option on two separate days and ran it for a couple of hours.

Samsung's tools will not run under my 64 bit Win7.

I tried telling Win7 to "not remind me again," but it does anyway. It is possible that the disk is really about to die, but the only indication of it comes from Win7. The only "help" from Samsung is their old check tool. Otherwise they have a request for RMA.

I have installed Win7 on the Samsung and otherwise used its rather large capacity to store backup files. If it dies, I have images of the OS and can backup the other files again. The problem is twofold: the drive may be in trouble and, if not, Win7 gives annoying warnings.

8. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Use Hirens Boot Cd 10.1 and run HDD Regenerator 1.71

It will take a really long time but will fix it if there are any issues.

It also has Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnostic 2.00b on it.

9. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #9 Servi, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    As I told you, Samsung's tool is an .iso, a bootable CD. It's no surprise, that it doesn't run on Win 7. :eek:
    And it's not so old, it is from july 2009.

10. lmfbr

lmfbr MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    I tried the .iso that I found on the Samsung support site. It does boot on my machine, but it only offers tools for copying, providing disk info, etc. It did not have any test/diagnostic features. The floppy .exe file will not run.

I will try Hires Boot CD and see if it finds something.

Thanks.

11. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Ok, I am out here... good luck and good night :rolleyes:

ES-Tool
    ESTOOL300g_CDROM.zip (Size : 1.76 MB)
    ESTOOL_FDD(3.00g).zip (Size : 710 KB)
    Preliminary

* ES Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) is made with the aim of testing a Samsung hard disk drive while it is installed inside a PC, regardless of the status of user's operating system. In fact of the drives returned to Samsung, a large percentage are NTF("No Trouble Found") after testing. So it is strongly recommended to test the drive if it is truly defective by a few fundamental troubleshooting of ES Tool first, to avoid user's unnecessary effort and inconvenience of replacing a good drive.
    * ES Tool can test a drive solely manufactured by Samsung. It is strongly recommended to back up the user's significant data in advance because ES Tool has a Write operation that can erase it. Samsung has no responsibility of lost data.

12. lmfbr

lmfbr MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    I downloaded another copy of ES Tool (CD). It started to boot, then didn't. So far, I have not gotten it to run from CD or floppy.

I downloaded Hires Boot CD and ran HDD Regenerator. It ran for a LONG time and presumably checked all of the 1TB drive. When finished, it reported that it had not found any bad sectors. It continues to look to me that the Samsung drive is okay, but that Win7 is giving false warnings.

13. lmfbr

lmfbr MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Spinrite sounds familiar. I will download it and give it a try. Thanks.