Way to import Server 2012 Standard R2 shell (start button) into Server 2012 Standard?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by whizkid11, Jan 30, 2014.

1. whizkid11

whizkid11 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi all.

I am currently operating Server 2012 Standard and am okay with it having patched termsrv.dll on the DC to allow more than 2 active remote sessions (MS reintroduced the ability to install the RDSH in R2 version). What I really like about the R2 version - albeit not worth $1,300 upgrade for - is the Start button which opens up the Start Screen. It makes access to the apps and "sign out" so much easier when using a touch screen only tablet, rather than frustratingly trying the get the screen to pop up by strategically pointing all the way on the left until the start screen button pops up after the tenth time.

Is there a way to import this feature to Server 2012 easily without having to download third party software designed to install the old Windows 7 shell / start menu as well? Just having the start button to open the start screen would be awesome. There's gotta be a way to mod the system files to allow it. Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    The only way to do so is with 3rd party software, unfortunately.

3. whizkid11

whizkid11 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    I actually found a way to do this. Just created a script and a shortcut pinned to the taskbar. Used the "Windows 8.1 Start Button Changer" for the icon shortcut but switching the .exe to .dll. Saved the script, shortcut, and dll file in its own folder. Then pinned the shortcut to the taskbar. After, I created a group policy to apply to all domain users.