WD Mybook Essential Turn Off Troubleshooting Question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by telino, Nov 21, 2012.

1. telino

telino MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2012
    to MDL community...

hi...

i just bought WD my book essential 2TB 3.5 inches today, i have a question regarding it however.

I'm not good with IT, and I'd like to ask...

1) how to properly turn off the mybook essential and unplug it? What is the correct step?
    => ps: Usually I used 2.5 external hdd, so today I tried the normal way of right click => safely remove hardware, (but even after I safely remove hardware), I saw the Mybook Essential is still on Power ON state. I mean, i can see from above that the inside of the HDD (the light) is still on

2) How to power off the External HDD correctly? It has an on/off power button. Say when I wanted to power off the mybook essential, is it safe to push the power off button while the external HDD is still connected to my PC? or should i "safely removed hardware" first?

3) I haven't installed WD Smartware at all (I don't think i will need the software), the only thing I have installed is the
    WD SES driver.

=> Do I need to install WD smartware to safely remove hardware?

4) Also when I tried to turn off the mybook essential by pushing the power button, the external hdd does not respond. I have to hold the power off button for 5-10 seconds to get it turned off. Is this normal? It feels like forced restart to me >_<.

So basically my question is what is the correct step-by-step to unplug and turn off WD mybook essential 3.5 inches HDD, and what things is considered improper handling of turn power off / unplug? Also what software do I need to install for power off / unplug?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    there should be icon at bottom.. green to safely remove. then u can unplug usb.
    the shutdown issue is usualy the bios ACPI. laptop model number? bios version ?

3. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    when I turn my computer off the light on mine blinks off and on, the second I unplug it from my puter it stops blinking.
    now when I turn off my puter and the light keeps blinking the drive isn't running the light is annoying so if the light doesn't bother you don't worry about it. ;)

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Use Duct tape :D

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its keeping drive in sleep state .. minor power