WD Sentinel DX4000 Need to hack the raid controller to allow more hard drive options

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Madjack, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Madjack

Madjack MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a 12TB Sentinel DX4000 and I am having a hard time finding drives that will work in it. Wd has restricted the DX4000 to three WD enterprise hard drives. Very expensive drives and out of stock everywhere I try. Is it possible to allow more hard drives to be compatable?

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  3. Madjack

Madjack MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2013
    At the present time I have 2 @ 3TB WD drives that came with the box, I purchased 2 WD 3TB drives WD3000FYYZ.These are Enterprise Drives with RE designation but I get invalid drive when I plug them in.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Like I asked before .. Which raid are you running ? ..If you are not running any then what drives you run and whether they match or not becomes less Important .. If you want a possible work around answer the questions .. What raid controller are you using? and what operating system?

5. bigfoot15

bigfoot15 MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    The Sentinel DX4000 is a premade nas box. You can't choose a raid controller or Operating system. It comes with Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials with the default set to Raid 1. At 12TB, his raid level is Raid 5.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    So you can't run JBOD or 2 RAID 0 or Raid 1 arrays or combo of each:rolleyes: Knowing which controller is present would give some insight as to which raid it allows you to configure .. As far as the OS goes you could reinstall the present OS to get rid of any bloat or non desirable pre config or install any OS that is supported by the slic 2.1 and hardware .. I had my reasons for asking the OP the questions I did and you answering those questions for the OP does what exactly?

7. bigfoot15

bigfoot15 MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    In the time that it took to make your post, you could have just looked up the specs for the Sentinel Dx4000 and all of your questions would have been answered.

@OP
    It appears that your only options to increase your capacity is to upgrade to the 4TB drives.Check for HDS5C4040ALE630 on ebay (around $200) or on google ($165 for refurb or $350 for new).
    If you can successfully edit the whitelist on you nas box, you may be able to use other cheaper 4TB drives.

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Man you really aren't about helping this guy .. So now where did the OP say he wanted to increase his capacity ?? and why would he want to put anything else but a match to the first 2 drives the unit came with if he is going to be running them in one raid. He would at least want 2 matching pairs which he currently has to his credit .. So now your suggesting as an option he buy a drive off ebay or alter the white list so he can force it to use some other cheaper drives which may or may not meet the specs. required for a sound raid array:clap3::laie:
    With that suggestion I can only conclude that you know little about preserving data least of all in any raid array.. So go get your big boy pants if you have any and come on back and prove you know something more than that none sense .. We are actually talking about some ones data here .. Stop being so loose with your info before it ends bad for this OP is my recommendation to you:rolleyes:

If the machines hardware/cofig will only allow you to operate in Raid 5 if you add additional drives and the drives you bought recently will not work then return them .. ID the drives which came with the unit and try to match them if money is the issue .. Best is to buy 4 new drives which are on the list all the same if you want to preserve your data long term in Raid 5 .. From the compatibility list for 3tb drives I found in stock new HDD .. Give more info on your current plan so we can help you better .. The more the better

9. Madjack

Madjack MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2013
    Unfortunately I am not a programmer and I have no Idea how to get at the information inside the WDStorageSetup.msi.The DX4000 that I have has 4 bays the first 2 bays came populated with WD 3TB Drives model WD3009FYPX, The 2 drives I purchased are WD 3TB WD3000FYYZ these are enterprise drives WD RE. If there is someone who could edit the file for me I would appreciate it.

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  11. bigfoot15

bigfoot15 MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    The drives that I linked are on the approved list of drives. If he is already spending $300-$400 on an approved or even not approved drives, he might as well spend less on a larger capacity approved drive.More capacity at less price; sound like a win to me. If he adds more than two drives, the system will automatically convert his raid 1 array to Raid5. I would obviously backup any important data externally just in case the conversion process fails.

The Dx4000 already comes with a second power supply. OP does not mention if he is using it.

Did you even bother to read the OP question or even the title of the thread?
    I at least gave him a possible option on how to achieve what he wants to do. It's up to him if he wants to experiment to achieve his goal.

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  13. bigfoot15

bigfoot15 MDL Member

Jul 22, 2009
    OP: Can you post your full Model of your hard drive? I will see if I can edit the whitelist for you.
    Can you also post what software revision you are currently at on your NAS?

14. Madjack

Madjack MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2013
    The model of hard drive that I have is WD3000FYYZ
    The ones in the NAS are WD3009FYPX
    Thank you for trying

15. Chillsee

Chillsee MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2013
    Did anyone get anywhere with this.I know I am replying to an old thread and as such might not get any joy.I have a DX4000 that I want to put 4 x 2TB iomega drives into. Did anyone managed to get the white list edited in the msi file?

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You can edit all you want, but the restrictions would be in FIRMWARE not just software
    Just assume it is NOT possible, and if you care about your data then definitely leave it as is

17. ultiman

ultiman MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2013
    it is possible WD will not harm you to edit the Firmware

it ist possible in about 15 Min. to do...
    you need the recovery Image
    extract the WDStorageSetup.msi
    extrakt the WDStorageSetup.msi with uniextract to an USB stick
    edit the Whitelist.xml in the right manner
    install the usb Software on the sentinel
    reboot

BUT be WARNED ::: WD writes !!!!! :

When an error is found on a desktop edition hard drive, the drive will enter into a deep [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]recovery[/FONT][/FONT] cycle to attempt to repair the error, recover the data from the problematic area, and then reallocate a dedicated area to replace the problematic area. This process can take up to 2 minutes depending on the severity of the issue. Most RAID controllers allow a very short amount of time for a hard drive to recover from an error. If a hard drive takes too long to complete this process, the drive will be dropped from the[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]RAID[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]array[/FONT][/FONT]. Most RAID controllers allow from 7 to 15 seconds for error recovery before dropping a hard drive from an array. Western Digital does not recommend installing desktop edition hard drives in an enterprise environment (on a RAID controller).

Western Digital RAID edition hard drives have a feature called TLER (Time Limited [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Recovery[/FONT][/FONT]) which stops the hard drive from entering into a deep recovery cycle. The hard drive will only spend 7 seconds to attempt to recover. This means that the hard drive will not be dropped from a RAID array. While TLER is designed for RAID environments, a drive with TLER enabled will work with no performance decrease when used in non-RAID environments.

i used 4x 500G ent. in an DX4000 because the right Disk deliverys were pending to long. So by that the whitelist.xml has to edit on both recovery Images (USB-Sticks)

regards from germany
    ulti

18. j0mama

j0mama MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2013
    Where do you find the file? I have looked through both the ISO and the memory stick created and cannot find WDStorageSetup.msi