Weather Gadget Cache Delete

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by The_Guardian, Jul 3, 2012.

1. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #1 The_Guardian, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    In win7 my weather gadget quit working....would show temp but from about two months ago instead of current temp in my city. The only way I found to correct this is by deleting the xml files in the windows sidebar gadget cache , closing the weather gadget and restarting it but would like to know how to do it from cmd file....this is the location...“%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Cache\168*\*.xml". For some reason I cannot del anything in the cache folder for inside the cache folder there is another folder with alot of numbers in it and I have tried the "*" with no luck. I dont know if the folder with numbers in it is standard for all win7 users or if it changes.....so I used wildcard * to represent the folder with numbers but cmd fails. would like a one click solution for this if possible. I del mine manually but for my friends they are not so comfortable in doin that so I would like to create a cmd file to do it for them. I'm not the only one exp. this issue among my frinds. Any help in creating one and I would be forever greatful and so would my friends. lol

ATTRIB -R -A -S -H "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Cache\*\*.xml"
    DEL /F /Q “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Cache\*\*.xml"

The main cause of this corruption if ya will is changing your time and date settings.....it corrupts the xml file.

2. philchaney

philchaney MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2012
    #2 philchaney, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    There is a much simpler way............................

There is a much simpler way................

Did the Currency, Stock or the Weather Gadget got stuck and stopped updating in your Windows 7/Vista computer all of a sudden? Clearing the Sidebar Gadgets cache using the following steps might help.
    Clear the Windows Sidebar Cache Folder

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the Task Manager.
    Exit Sidebar.exe process via Task Manager.

Instructions for Windows 7

1. Press WinKey+R, type the following and press ENTER:
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\
    2. Right-click on the "Cache" folder, click Rename.
    3. Assign a new name (say Cache.old) for the folder.
    4.Press WinKey+R, type the following and press ENTER:
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Cache
    5. Delete the folder named 53eab605-3b97-4da0-8e92-ea49d47af529
    The above folder is where the Currency Gadget stores some data. Likewise, Weather gadget stores the data in a folder named 168522d5-1082-4df2-b2f6-9185c31f9472.
    6. Press WinKey+R type Sidebar.exe and press ENTER.

Instructions for Windows Vista
    1. Press WinKey+R, type the following and press ENTER:
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\
    2. To reset the cache for Currency gadget, right-click the folder "currency" and choose Delete.
    3. Press WinKey+R type Sidebar.exe and press ENTER.

:biggrin:

3. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    That is great for me but for friends that arent as comfortable do that might cause me more headaches. lol Was tring to just make a script my friend could just click on and correct it....simplier for him. lol I know a lil scripting but not near as much as some of u. lol Thanks for the info though....nice to add to toolbox. ;)

4. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Interesting but most wont disable their gadgets so I expect another solution in that case.....mine and my friends comps werent infected just currupt. simple deleting xml files fixed it. Microsoft has big programmers there so they should just make a patch for it instead of disabling....just my opinion. Thanks for info though.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Most don't seem to get the security updates either. Bummer.

6. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Actually most do get their updates via auto update built into windows and those that dont know the risk if turned off.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    So it's wise to have auto updates "On" so as to get the latest security fixes automatically and those who turn auto updating "Off" know they are at risk. But it's ok to disregard Microsoft's advice to immediately disable gadgets because of security risks? Hmmmm... I guess gadget security is just not as important as other security and Microsoft doesn't understand that.

8. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    wow....this is not a topic about security updates but how to make a script to delete xml files so that weather gadget will work again....I repeat this is not from virus but from corruption of xml files if date or time changed....that's all. I'm not wanting to get into a debate over updates and microsofts role in it. Lets stick to the subject. Thank you.
    Funny if you dont goto risky places you dont have to worry about viruses......I havent had a virus in many yrs. Use the internet smartly. ;)

9. McRip

McRip MDL Addicted

Aug 15, 2011
    My Autoupdate is turned off. You can use brain.exe. Haven't had viruses for years either.
    And that M$ suggests to disable gatgets is all about money to force people to use the new Metro crap in Windows 8.

10. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    You probably think that humans never landed on the moon, too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...