Web-based VPN question for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ciscokid, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Is there a web based VPN solution for Windows 10 where I could connect with servers in Australia? I'm trying to avoid installing a client onto Windows 10, they usually install a TAP driver into my network, I would like to avoid this.

I know there may be a Java based solution for Windows 10 that does this, has anyone had any luck with this?

2. thessalonik

thessalonik MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    iam interested in that too

3. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I don't think that it's possible. The TAP driver is the P in VPN. Without it, you would have a VN, a virtual network but no privacy, anyone would know your IP.

I am far, far from an expert on VPN, so don't take my word without verification.

Also, all VPN software requires a TAP driver, no matter what the OS is, so this isn't strictly a Windows 10 topic. (Again, I'm no expert)

4. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I need an Australian server to register an account, I suppose I can install a client, register the account and then uninstall it afterwards.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @CHEF-KOCH thanks a lot for very useful info dude :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    I took another look into the proxy method. I'm not really concerned about privacy so a VPN is kind of overkill.

Here's the situation: I bought a legal key for Kaspersky Internet Security on eBay. The problem is the key was originally sold for the Australia region, meaning you much have an Australian IP address for the key to be registered. I need an Australian IP for basically just a few minutes while I register the software.

Here's what I'd like to do: Find a proxy server with an Australian IP address, put the proxy server info and port into Windows 10, register the software, then remove the proxy server info from settings.

Will this work? TIA

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    My concern is this: If it doesn't work, would the key be banned / black listed? Could be safer to search for a free or demo VPN software. Even though they may be slow (because they are free/demo), you only need it to work one time for your key to be verified.

8. ciscokid

Jun 3, 2007
    Yes, I think that would work too. There are fully working trial versions of VPN out there, I don't think the key would be banned though. I actually tried it on my system and all it said was "wrong region, try again" or something.

I guess both the VPN and Proxy ways will work, I will try it once I do a clean install on Windows 10 on that machine.

9. KootchieKoo

KootchieKoo MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2014
    Pay for a VPN that has a server in Australia. Pay for the shortest possible time period and cancel after you've registered the software. I use AirVPN, they have a 3-day trial that costs only 1 Euro, but no servers in Australia. There is a VPN article on Ghacks, in the discussion at the bottom there is a link to a spreadsheet containing a lot of info on VPN's.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Whatever you do, don't use Hola. Their method of security is swapping IP addresses between other Hola users. So you choose an Australian IP from their list of "servers" and do something perfectly normal. Another dude gets your IP address and downloads forbidden content. Who are "they" going to come looking for?

12. lndlw3

lndlw3 MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2014
    Get a AU based VPS ( go for lowendspirit vps with NatIPV4) and install Shadowsocks on it. It is based on Socks5 protocol. You can use a script to automate the install process (Search Shadowsocks Teddysun). I prefer the libdev version as it is fast and less resource hungry.