Websites for upload files.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by antonio8909, Aug 3, 2017.

1. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    Hi there.

I'm looking for a website for backup my files with FTP option available and unlimited space

Discarded pages:

• 1fichier/Uptobox: They are sending emails to users telling them that they are keeping a lot of files in their cloud (Normal if they say that the service is unlimited...)
    • Userscloud/Filescdn: I had a bad experience with them regarding support and uploads.
    • Racaty.com: No FTP option available.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't know the answer to your question, as I was never interested in such a service. The best backups aren't made online, because you can never rely fully on something outside your control. The host may change its terms or disappear completely at any time. Many have done so.

Then there is the security issue of the connection, while the host may be under maintenance, or abused by its admins, or get hacked.

A proper service won't be free, and with the money you save you can buy and external drive for your backups.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #3 Michaela Joy, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    @Katzenfreund: I don't know either, but it depends in the OPs' intent.

If he is just storing a copy for himself, then a blue-ray disc is the best bet, -AND- a flash / magnetic storage drive copy.
    Use the drive for everyday and store the BD-R someplace safe.

-HOWEVER-

If he's looking to store the data (content) on line so that he can easily share it, well that's a "horse of a different color" so to speak.
    If the content is legitimate, then pretty much any on-line host will do. He simply has to Google "online storage"

I use Ixquick.com, and this is the first link I got

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/306323/the-best-cloud-storage-providers-and-file-syncing-services

If the legitimacy of the data is in question, then, he must make sure to choose a host who will not take his data down.
    Piracy laws differ from country to country.

@OP: Good luck in your search.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    The OP actually said, "for backup my files", which clearly implies for himself, hence my reply.

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzenfreund: He didn't say what kind of files they were. If he saves movies or apps, they (the host) could take down the files for DMCA violations.

Of course that depends on the host. He needs to determine that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Don't know who will give ftp access to storage other than webhosts and they won't like you storing files that have no relevance to website.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't know why you address this to me, as it has nothing to do with my point that the OP talked about backup for himself and not for sharing, a point you had missed.

But as regards the kind of files he'd save, a user normally wants to be able to save whatever he likes, whether DMCA is involved or not. And he'd be foolish not to protect his files by packing with password, and leave the host free to pry into his stuff.

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Because you quoted MY post and said "The OP actually said, "for backup my files", which clearly implies for himself, hence my reply. ".

If you don't want me to respond to you, then I suggest you don't quote my post.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    backed up data to the cloud should be encrypted first.
    I have always heard that on line storage is good because there are now more secure/reliable places like Microsoft and Google, but these places also have no regard for privacy.
    Also a second back up like storage near you, like dvd disks, portable drives...ect. If prices ever drop on SSD's those might turn out to be a reliable option for temp storage too

10. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    Thanks for all your messages. I'm at the moment with Google Drive.