Weird Behavior in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Win7exp, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Win7exp

Win7exp MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    for some reason i keep hearing tick sounds like when a page refreshes in ie8, but no browser is open
    i keep hearing that sound every few minutes, all explorer windows are closed, browsers closed, its just at random times
    that sound would play the sound is called (Windows Navigation Start.wav)

can anyone help me please

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is that nothing in the report is related to any virus or spyware instance.
    So in that regard you have a safe system, and the clicking sounds when browsers are closed, probably aren't caused by any spy- or malware.

The bad news is that hijackThis reports several system files missing (??)

You should look in the report for any files reported missing, and try to verify that they are actually missing or not...

Did you run a full system scan for virusses/malware ?

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    But he said that all browsers were closed...

But whats more puzzling is how that system can still work at all.

Missing this, missing that, even SPPSVC is gone, and all of them are 'Unknown Owner'.

To me this looks like something was messing about BAD in the deeps of the system, which is why i personally would run not walk to save my valuable data and set up that system anew as fast as i can...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Maybe it's not that urgent, cause it doesn't seem to be caused by malware.
    But he does need to repair his system, cause those missing system files WILL cause issues if they haven't allready.

5. Win7exp

Win7exp MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    those files are not missing, i just checked the files, they are there.

whats a good anti.malware spyware program?

like the best one, i did a scan with mse, it found 1 trojan, eset didnt find s**t, wouldnt clean if it found any, but trend micro internet security found alot of false positives.

so i need a reliable one, please help

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    avast (free)
    kaspersky antivirus
    avira (free and very good, but some false positives)

7. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
  8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #12 sam3971, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ok, I am actually shocked no one has ever told you this but I would open Task Manager and select "View all Tasks" or somthing like that if you have UAC enabled. Then scroll through the list and see you have any instances of "iexplorer.exe" running when the browser is closed. If you do terminate it/them. If they come back right away without you opeing IE then you have a Trojan(Probably some varient of the Vundo family). I had the same issue with XP when I was using Stopsign Internet Security and their Tech team said that it was a trojan. I gave them my pc's specs and they sent me a custom cleaner. Ever since then I did not have the same issue. I would definately check that out though dude. I know according to the HijackThis log it shows that you are not running any instances of iexplorer.exe but I would still check it out. If you do not and any antivirus/antispyware program does not find anything then it could be some corruption somewhere. At that point I would run this command using command prompt as admin

Code:
    sfc /scannow
    That code will scan your system files for corruption and attempt to repair any issues it finds. If that does not help then I would say that you are probably looking at a reinstall of windows 7 dude. I know it sux but you do not have to format your drive to reinstall so you do not loose anything although you will have to reinstall everything. I hope this information helps you out dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #13 genuine555, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That is much less likely in win7 then in xp.