Weird behavior with video DVDs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Myrrh, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    OK, all you guys out there using Windows 7, I have a weird issue that occurs with video DVDs. The normal ones like you buy at the store that have a movie on them.

Sometimes I will put one in my DVD drive and Windows Media Player will autolaunch and play the movie. This is what I would call "normal behavior"

Other times, for no apparent reason, the disc will do its loading thing but nothing else happens. If I look at it in Explorer, I notice that there's no volume label, it just shows up as "CD Drive (D: ) 0 bytes free of x.xx GB UDF" and if I then "open" it I see the normal AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, plus "Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc (1)" containing desktop.ini. No amount of coaxing will get the thing to play, in fact Media Player says the drive has no disc.

This is not a writeable disc. Why is it doing this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    My guess is Windows Media Player is missing some codecs. I could be wrong.I'll ask a few other people who use Windows Media Player more then i do.

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I think it's more related to the fact that for some reason Windows thinks it's a RW disc instead of what it really is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...