Weird Login Screen with .\ before the username

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 3mbr4c3, Jul 19, 2015.

1. 3mbr4c3

3mbr4c3 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    #1 3mbr4c3, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Did a clean install with the ESD provided here. Everything's fine so far, can't complain. One thing I've noticed is, when I lock my computer, it shows me a .\ before my username :D

Does someone encounter the same? Is it a visual bug or something else?

Edit0:

Tested it with a VM, same thing happens.

Important to mention: I've activated the Built-In administrator account and renamed it. It only occurs with this account, every other account doesn't have the .\ before the username. Maybe it's a new indicator or just a visual bug, who knows ^^

2. ilkevinli

ilkevinli MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    Not sure why it's showing that, but you use that when you want to login to a local account when the computer is connected to a domain. Normally you would have to type the computer name\user name. However, typing .\username bypasses that.

3. 3mbr4c3

3mbr4c3 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    #3 3mbr4c3, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    (OP)
    Yep, usually if the device is a member of a domain the name of the domain would be before the \ and afterwards comes the username (does the same if you log on to the local machine --> name of device stands in front of the \). As I mentioned it, it does only show with the built-in administrator account. I think it's a visual bug, doesn't bother me. Everything's working as expected. Perhaps a Windows Update will fix this or even a bigger update which may occur on the worldwide release on the 29th of July 2015.

Edit0:

Interesting... if I enable the built-in administrator, log on as it, log out, log on as another user, then rename the built-in administrator, log on as the renamed administrator, delete the other account and lock the built-in administrator, the .\ before the username doesn't appear. If I first rename the built-in administrator and immediately log on as it, the .\ appears. Perhaps a bug?

Edit1:

Found the bug: If the built-in username has spaces between the words like the username is King Of The Hill a .\ appears before the username on the lockscreen. Maybe windows is trying to indicate that the user logs on to the computer instead of a domain. Interesting, never had this on Windows 8.1... :g:

Edit2:

Wrong, it only appears if I use special letters like @ or $$.